Only registered users can view our extensive collection of pottery marks images.

Author Topic: Signed piece W.Germany... - ID = Minerva by Ceramano  (Read 6961 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Signed piece W.Germany... - ID = Minerva by Ceramano
« on: March 09, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
Hi, I was an an Auction yesterday, and of course was *rooting* around.  I bought some other things, which I will post in time BUT I found this piece in which they had a plant in.  It wasn't really for sale - but I asked if they would sell it.

The lady there said sure, and to just give her a "couple bucks" which I did, as fast as I could.  I had seen that it was signed on the bottom, and though this *might* be a good deal, but as you know I do not know anything about W. Germany Pottery, but through this board -- I know there is a lot of interest.

So now, can anyone tell me about this:  Number meaning, signature, and that is is signed rather than stamped, or incised.  How old is this piece, and the fact that appears to be a *hand-written* signature -- Well, did I do good for a couple bucks here??

They did have a plant in it, so there is so residue to clean out, and like some scaling in it.  I have loosen (gently) some off, but did not want to work to much at it before I talked to you guys.  Most of it has come off already...

But the main question is -- What is this piece, age, the signature of this, and (hopefully) that two bucks was worth it??  I can't really research myself much, as I can not identify the signature, and who it is.  Anyone know???

I know that values are not really given here, but can someone give me a ballpark range (if I did OK), and/or links to similar pottery with values?

I was NOT sure where to post this -- as I did not know if this should go here, or IF this is Fat lava, so excuse me IF I posted the wrong place.  :-\

Looking so forward to hear.  Thanks.

P.S.  It has like two little *knobs* on each side....for whatever ??
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
Re: Signed piece W.Germany....(Help)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 07:25:46 PM »
Very nice Rose, looks like studio piece rather than a piece from a large factory
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline Orpheus

• Board User
    • West Germany Ceramics Collectables
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
Hi Rose it looks very Ceramano to me because of the handwriting that is.
"Break a vase, and the love that reassembles the fragments is stronger than that love which took its symmetry for granted when it was whole."

www.westgermany-ceramics-collectables.com

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »
Ohhh yes, I see what you mean Bas, thank you. I'm sure Rose will be delighted. :)  Rose have a look at the Ceramano topic here for some comparison markings: http://www.yobunny.com/pottery/index.php?topic=8557.0
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
See here for something from the same range
Christine

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
Re: Signed piece W.Germany... - ID = Minerva by Ceramano
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »
See here for something from the same range

:thd: :thd: Your kidding on that price :o :o

So this is called Minerva by CERAMANO  which means what?  (Sorry, but I know nothing about w. German pottery except to read it on the bottom of this... :blush:

And now I am confused -- is the number on the bottom *978* or is it *g78*.  The first number a 9 or a g....as I am not sure.  Can any one help?

So I think I did ok then.... :happy: :happy: :clap2: any other links to this sort of stuff, MOST Welcomed....thanks for the other info too you guys/gals  :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :love2:

_______________________________________ :sign_missyou: _______________________________

Sorry I have been away from the board, but I have that *Car issue* thing coming up tommorrow.....so have been busy, busy with that....so I thought I would *pop* in for a second here today.  It has been beautiful weather here....melting like crazy, and so much snow gone already.....

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »
978 will be the form (shape) number. Minerva is the decor (glaze) and yes the girl done good. Ceramano seems to be desirable because it was well designed and hand made to high standards in smallish quantities. According to Forrest Poston, the factory was in operation 1959-1984

See here
Christine

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »
Well thank you very much for all your information here...

You know, It is because of you guys I nab this item.  I know you guys know (and see) so much of this stuff there -- but when I turned it over and saw what it said....I had to get it for me, and to post here for you guys.

I did not know IF they would sell it or not, as they have a plant in it, but I asked, and when I was told I could have for a couple of bucks ($ 2 ) then I jumped at it...

It was because of you guys here, and the discussions about West German products.  That lady probably did not care, cuz here (Canada) maybe she figured there was no interest in it.....WELL....IT HAD MY INTEREST -- due to information/interest I have seen posted on here...

Also I KNEW that you guys here would be able to help me identify it, so I knew it would NOT just be another unknown item sitting here for (me) to try to figure out.....

So, I thought of you guys when I bought this -- and so glad I did  ;D ;D for two dollars.

also, it is 978 the number, as it is a weird looking 9, and thought it might be a *g* instead.

Thanks for all the info -- and I knew (Thanks to this Board) I would be able to have it identified.  You guys/gals are JUST AMAZING, AND GIVE YOU A BIG THANK YOU HERE FROM CANADA. 

I would be still looking, or might not have asked to purchase it, being unknown to me -- So Thank you!!

:cheerleader:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk