Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Vintage birthday cards  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Vintage birthday cards
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:09:00 AM »
In the box with the old Christmas cards are some birthday cards as well. Again, all three were commercially produced with printed insides.

The first one with the embroidered panel has a postcard back and was made in France. The small card below it was tucked into the pocket made by the lace, and says on the back in copperplate hand-writing Best love and kisses xxxxxxxxx as a supplementary greeting to the one on the reverse of the card itself.

Those in the other photo side by side are two double-folded paper ones dating from 1949 when my Uncle celebrated his 21st Birthday which again look very "home made".
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Re: Vintage birthday cards
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
I love the embroidered one, and I think home made cards are wonderful.  The fact that someone has spent time and thought making one, makes it special.  Isn't that handwriting lovely!  Obviously taught properly at school :)

My youngest makes all her own cards, and I've kept ones she had sent me over the years.  They're a bit crazy but always make me laugh.

Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
My Grandpa always wrote in the most beautiful copperplate script like that, Anne. He drilled into us that writing was important and should be legible (otherwise what's the point if no-one can read it) and we learned to write the same copperplate script at school, but my writing had altered since then. I can still do the copperplate and tend to if I'm writing a lot of text as it is much faster than my usual scrawl!

Re home made cards, I love 'em too, this year almost all my Christmas cards (except the overseas ones which went out last month) are home-made ones - it's so relaxing just escaping from the computer and going up to my playspace with scissors, card and glue!  :gcheer:
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
 :clap: :clap:  :fby: :hby:

Life was so more simple, but true...  Very nice cards.
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk