For your safety passwords need to be a mixture of upper & lowercase letters and digits and at least 8 characters long.

Author Topic: Huge German Bull - Bitossi style  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Huge German Bull - Bitossi style
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:34:52 PM »
This has made my day :cheerleader:  having spotted what I first thought was a piece of Bitossi, which I collect.  However, its marked 'made in Germany' on one foot.  Its obviously old with crazing and looks very 50s-60s in style. 

It was coated in nasty sticky tar like substance - probably nicotine, but it eventually cleaned up really well.

Can anyone throw any light on it please.  Who might have made it?  I would have thought that any pottery made during the 50s-60s would have been marked W.Germany and not just Germany.   

TIA :bny:
Anne E.B.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
Re: Huge German Bull - Bitossi style
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
He's super. The Germany either means he is pre-War or post 1989. I would perhaps go with pre-, they could be pretty radical in Germany, but there again crazing doesn't always mean old.
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
I was pretty confused by the marking I must admit.  He's made himself at home on the fire hearth ;D
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »
My question as to which German ceramics works made pieces similar to Bitossi, has been answered by this large handled pot.  Its marked BAY W.GERMANY 225-30 on the base.

I've taken pics. of it with a piece of Bitossi on either side.  The patterning is very similar, but less rustic looking, and the colour similar to Bitossi's Rimini Blu.

I would imagine that my bull was made by Bay too, but can't confirm either way.
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »
That's a good find Anne, thanks for sharing it. The colour *is* very close for sure. Thank goodness it's marked!  :clap:
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk