Is there something you feel would add to the forum? If so, login and make your suggestion in the Board Discussion forum.

Author Topic: Kitty Macbride mice figures  (Read 54698 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Re: Kitty Macbride mice figures
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 03:17:45 AM »
Hi there and Welcome ShoeLover  :cheerleader:  :gcheer:

The more *pics* to add to this post the better.......would love to see more
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Buddydazzler

• Board Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:08 AM »
Thanks ShoeLover,

I'll be in touch.

I've recently been in touch with Kitty Macbride's daughter and grand daughter, who have been very helpful in filling in some of the gaps in my research - and I'm also waiting for her son to get back in touch with me.

None of this would have happened without the help from this site/forum, so a big thank you to the people who set it up and give up their time running it. I'm so glad I joined!

Also, a massive thank you to Lucy - I hope we can keep in touch...

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 03:46:40 AM »
:clap2: :clap2:

Yes, it is amazing what can happen on this Forum/Board. I too SALUTE this Forum/Board..........and Buddydazzler, we ARE so glad you joined too......And Every *NEW*  member.  So glad you are here.

:cheerleader:

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Buddydazzler

• Board Member
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
I have just received a lovely letter from Kitty MacBride's son, detailing an accurate outline of her life and career.

This has proved to be extremely useful to my research and has filled in all the gaps that I was struggling to find answers to.

My research is now complete and I can continue to collect Kitty MacBride mice with a thorough knowledge and understanding of the potter who made them. Yeah!

A big 'Thank You' to this site for making it happen...

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 03:25:58 AM »
Hi Buddydazzler....  :cheerleader:

Would you be able to provide some of the details of her life and career here so that we can keep this info here for other members.

That would be nice - as like I said - I had not hear of her.

;) Thanks

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
How lovely to have such a great response from her son, and please do add some details here if you can, as I'm sure it would be of great interest to others as well.  :cheerleader:
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Buddydazzler

• Board Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
Yes. As soon as I have time (and work out how to do it!) I shall be adding information about Kitty MacBride and some photos of her work.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 04:11:51 AM »
Thank you - look forward to hearing that...   :gcheer: :gcheer:

Offline Buddydazzler

• Board Member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »
INFORMATION  ON  KITTY  MACBRIDE    from    Buddydazzler  (as promised).

Kitty MacBride was an exceptional woman.  It was not until the late 1950s, that she began to make her 'Happy Mice'.

Born in 1904, in Derbyshire, England, she had already been a successful Fleet Street journalist, fiction writer and illustrator, before her career as a potter began.

As a hobby, she spent long, patient hours sketching and drawing mice, kept in a glass fronted cage in her garage - until she had the inspiration to begin modelling them in clay - using a tiny, nine inch kiln.

In 1963, a London antique dealer offered to sell them for her, from his premises on the corner of Berkeley Square, London, (where the nightingale sang).

The little figures proved to be very popular, and because her work was so finely detailed and artistically sound, she aroused considerable interest and enthusiasm amongst those who appreciated craftsmanship in pottery.

Occasionally, she made one-off figures for people in public life - such as: former British Prime Minister, Sir Edward Heath; International Ballet Dancer, Sir Robert Helpmann; and even HM. The Queen.

Around 1975, she approached Royal Doulton/Beswick, and they commissioned eleven of her character mice to be produced from their factory in the heart of 'the potteries', Stoke-on-Trent.  These figures were produced commercially :mse: :mse: for a number of years.

However, she continued making 'original' versions of 'Happy Mice' (as they became known), despite suffering from increasing arthritis in her hands, right up to the time of her rather sudden death in 1983.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
Thank you SO MUCH -- Beautiful.  Hats off to you Buddydazzler for getting the info, for informing us, and for the beautiful pics.

Thank you
  :clap:  :sign_gj:

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 03:51:54 AM »
Indeed, thank you so much. it's great to be able to see the mice and find out about their maker too.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Buddydazzler

• Board Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
Yeah! Managed to get a new 'original' Kitty MacBride figure to add to my collection.

Another mouse coming all the way back home from Australia. Can't wait for it to arrive!

That's two figures now that I've managed to obtain through the use of this site.

There must be more people who wish to sell figures from their collections?  If you do - get in touch - always willing to pay good prices for the right figure!

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Buddydazzler.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:36 AM »
.....Another mouse coming all the way back home from Australia. Can't wait for it to arrive!

That's two figures now that I've managed to obtain through the use of this site.

Buddydazzler.

That is Super to hear both news-- that you have found more, and this site has helped you obtain them. :clap2: :clap2:

:sign_thanks:

Offline USAcollecter

• Board Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
In unpacking some of my grandmother china I came across a Kitty MacBride piece of two mice in bed together.  I'd like to learn more about her work and share pictures with you if interested. 

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
Hi and Welcome to the Board USAcollecter  :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

We would love to see your pictures of your items.  Let us (or Anne) know if you have any trouble posting a pic....and Again Welcome my Southern neighbor.

:gcheer:

Offline danwins

• Board Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »
Hi everyone,
Sorry for dragging up an old post, but need a little advice and this seems the only site I have found discussing Kitty Macbride figures.
My Mum showed me a mouse figure that I had found when I was six (1978) and has kept all this time,  no one ever took any notice of it untill today when we started doing a clean up for her.

It is a mouse holding a rose but it doesnt have a signiture on it it just has kitty macbride written on the side, but what seems unusal after doing some searching is, its not made of pot its made of bronze!  its not painted but does have a felt pad on the base.

It might just be something mass produced but it may also be something else so any input or advice on it would be welcomed.

Dan

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 03:30:10 AM »
Dan welcome to the board. Your figure sounds interesting, and I'm sure Buddydazzler will be along to add more as soon as possible.  :cheerleader:
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline Buddydazzler

• Board Member
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 12:51:40 PM »
Kitty MacBride did not make any figures out of metal - only clay.  The bronze figure you speak of is a reproduction. I have seen a few of these figures sold on ebay over the years - not worth much money I'm afraid!

Offline Buddydazzler

• Board Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
Things seem very quiet at the moment.  Always looking for 'original' Kitty MacBride mice figures to add to my collection.  There must be someone out there who has some they'd be interested in selling - or know someone else who does. Always willing to pay top prices for the right figure!  Get in touch please...

Offline goldfinger

• Board Member
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:01 PM »
Hi I'M NEW TO THIS SITE (ONLY FOUND IT BY ACCIDENT),I SAW THE LINK RE KITTY MACBRIDE AND THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW THAT I WAS A LOGER WITH HER WHEN SHE LIVED IN RAINTON VILLAGE IN COUNTY DURHAM AND I HAVE A BRONZE FIGUERINE THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME PERSONALLY BY KITTY WHEN I LEFT TO GO AND LIVE IN YORKSHIRE, SHE GAVE ME THE BRONZE WHICH HAS TWO MICE ON IT WITH THE MESSAGE "BE MINE" ON IT AND IS SIGNED ON THE BOTTOM WITH HER NAME.
I LOST CONTACT WITH HER AFTER I LEFT AND I BELIVE SHE WENT TO STAY WITH HER SON ON HIS FARM NEARER DURHAM CITY.
I WILL TRY AND POST A PHOTO FOR YOU TO SEE LATER ON.
DAVE. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk