If you are using a shared PC make sure you log out at the end of your session. This protects your account privacy and especially important if you use a PC in a public library or an internet cafe.

Author Topic: Velos Hygienic Moistener - Bakelite  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Velos Hygienic Moistener - Bakelite
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »
Anyone seen one of these before? A Velos Hygienic Moistener made from Bakelite, tin and wool felt.

I thought it had something to do with smoking at first, but now think it might be something that you had on a desk connected with stationery use.

I haven't tried it out, but think that the metal lid goes on top.  Water is put in the bakelite base which has a trough and the felt flaps take it up to the felt pad under the lidded top that has holes (osmosis???) and stamps/envelopes can be moistened - I think ;D

Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Velos Hygienic Moistener - Bakelite
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
I'm sure this is what this is Anne. Velos Perforex made (and still do make) office stationary items, such as those rubber finger caps for counting out notes, and hole punches, and so on, so a stamp moistener would seem to fit perfectly with their line of business.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »
I never seen one of those....I seen the ceramic roller, with a little tub of water it sits in....and you give in a spin, the roller get wet -- and then you brush the stamp on it, to get the stamp wet.

Geeeez...........tried to find a image, and could not locate one...
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
I quite liked licking postage stamps and envelopes :czy: :taped: but they seem to be mostly self-adhesive ones nowadays.

I remember seeing those roller type ones in the past, but the rollers were made from something like rubber.  Ive never seen a ceramic one Rose.  Sounds more up-market :bny:
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
I tried to find a pic of one, as my Mom had one.  It was like a stoneware item...in fact, at the Post office I go to, they still have one there on the shelf -- yet I could not find one on the net for images.

Yes, most stamps self-sticking.  And you know your getting OLD when you go to the post office to get a stamp, they give you a (self-sticking) stamp -- and then I tired to lick it and wonder why it would not stick.

......then the lady said "You don;t have to lick it -- just pull the adhesive off....."

I admit I've done that.   :24: After all, years of years licking stamps, it is hard to not do it these days.  Modern technology (??)

That is quite the different machine here in this post - I would have never guessed that if I saw it...

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »
I initially thought it was some kind of ashtray - being placed the other way up, and it took a while for the penny to drop ;D
Anne E.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk