For your safety passwords need to be a mixture of upper & lowercase letters and digits and at least 8 characters long.

Author Topic: Painted flowers on wood panel  (Read 4953 times)

Offline keith

• Board Addict
Painted flowers on wood panel
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:59 PM »
14 by 19 inches,varnish peeling and those stains will not come off and I'm too scared to use any strong cleaners,has anyone seen anything like this before?no marks or labels,
                                                                                                                                  Keith.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Re: Painted flowers on wood panel
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »
Hi Keith"
Is there a signature at all on it??

I have heard about these types of things on Antique Roadshow where pictures were painted on wood.

http://www.pbs.org/cgi-registry/wgbh/roadshow/archive_search.cgi?category=Paintings+%26+Drawings

I think this is called *Panel Paintings* as for type.  Might not be as old as these in the link - but I think that is what it is called.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panel_painting  (I think anyways...)

This *might* be referred to as *Tole painting* too (???)

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline keith

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
Thanks again Rose,like you said mine's not so old,I think,will look up 'tole painting' no sig's or marks,would be very nice if it was worth as much as those!
                                                                                    Keith.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:01:16 PM »
Tole painting  is more folk arty than this really (I've done a bit of it alongside my canalware.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tole_painting

The panel looks like some I've seen as part of a piece of furniture - could it have been removed from something Keith? They were made to imitate more expensive inlaid panels I think.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
Any signs of it being very hot? Could it be a fire guard/fire screen with the brackets missing from the base?

Marquetry in places maybe?

Offline keith

• Board Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
Having a closer look,it's not part of something larger,no heat damage so not a fire screen,the wood has been painted to simulate inlay and the edging which looks like another wood is also a paint effect,no marquetry,also not a solid wood panel it appears to  be made of thin cross grained layers glued together,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk