Is there something you feel would add to the forum? If so, login and make your suggestion in the Board Discussion forum.

Author Topic: Franz von Stuck Copy - Salome...1923/27  (Read 3521 times)

Offline notmuchpottery

• Board Member
Franz von Stuck Copy - Salome...1923/27
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »
Fell in love with this. Cost me a little bit but I think I still got a bargain in my opnion. Painted in either 1923/27. Bit hard to tell as the last digit is right near the frame. Not likely to find the person who actually painted this gorgeous oil on canvas but I will put it here anyway.

The signature reads 'sopres F. von STK masy 1923/7.

Hope you like.

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Re: Franz von Stuck Copy - Salome...1923/27
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
This reminds me of a painting my grandad painted, not the subject, but the grimace expression on the girls face. In this case though i think it's more of a smile, it's hard to tell. I think she might be glad to see her cheating husbands head on a tray perhaps?

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »
Wow! You know I think I like this better than the original (which is darker and drearier IMHO) - the face of Salome shows the joy of the dance and the slave is wonderfully depicted in yours.

http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/70/Franz_von_Stuck_010.jpg

TC, the head is that of John the Baptist, which Salome demanded as the price of her dancing for her stepfather King Herod.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline notmuchpottery

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:47:55 AM »
I agree Anne. The original is a lot more darker where is my copy seems to be more brighter with a lot more detail given to the slave. It is very hard to see any detail in the slave in the original.

I love how she seems to be really pleased at being served the head of John the Baptist while she is in mid dance. Although she could be a little more modest in my opnion.  ^-^

Offline notmuchpottery

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 04:21:09 AM »
Gorgeous...couldn't resist looking again...:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk