Only registered users can view our extensive collection of pottery marks images.

Author Topic: Early cortendorf mark  (Read 10369 times)

Offline paintedlady

• Board Member
Early cortendorf mark
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
Hi I have a teapot with an early cortendorf mark but can't find out what dates this mark was used, can anyone help?
Thanks

Offline user9318

• Board Regular
Re: Early cortendorf mark
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »
Not much help in accurate dating, but the only reference I can find on Cortendorf marks is this site
http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/bavaria/cortendorf_1/00.php

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »
Hello painted lady and user9318, welcome to the board. All I could find re dating was the same as user9318's link. Cortendorf stated in 1890 and the FOREIGN mark was related to the import controls used in the USA & (I think) the UK, where items had to be marked - from the 1920s in the USA I think the mark had to include the country as well. In the UK we see FOREIGN as a mark on items from Germany and Japan as a result of concerns over buying their goods after the war. Not much help in dating your piece though.

Could we see pics of what the mark is on please, as that might help as well.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline user9318

• Board Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:32:22 AM »
Thank you for the welcome Anne, hope to contribute more when I can.

Offline paintedlady

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »
Thanks for you help, sorry for my delay in replying.
The mark is on the bottom of a rabbit teapot that belonged to my mum, I've no idea where she got it from but it sat in her glass cabinet from as far back as i can remember.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
Oh what fun that is! :) I have a fondness for rabbits...
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline paintedlady

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
Yes he's very cute, have been able to find a small number of them having been sold at auction & described as very rare, but they are all marked with Germany & Erpilia, which I understand was put on by a company exporting them to USA, also all the ones I've found are damaged in some way & mine is undamaged, one site says the mark is early but gives no date, they were made pre & post war but cant find date they began making this pattern & if mine is indeed an early one or not. have researched it on line but stuck & can't find enough info on it, so any more info would be appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk