Many posts have images attached but you need to be a registered user to see them.

Author Topic: Beaded box  (Read 903 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Beaded box
« on: May 27, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
I bought this for £1, seems to be silver plated. The beads on the top look a bit like turquoise and coral, the sort of thing you'd find in Tibet. Not sure on age, maybe 60's or 70's because of those warn metal studs on the top? It has felt lining on the inside, maybe a pill box or something.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Beaded box
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:06:59 AM »
My mother had some of these, TC, I seem to think that the decorative style is Byzantine / Turkish but it could be Indian / Tibet instead.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 03:08:33 PM »
I've come up blank on Tibet and Indian, i'll try searching for Turkish next thanks. I did come by this ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Beautiful-Silver-Plate-Cachou-Box-for-Pill-Snuff-from-19th-20th-c-13-/281161840240

Listing removed for some reason, perhaps incorrect attribution, wrong price, or some other reason.

Seems to have the same decoration with the beads and the studs, but that one on ebay seems much older, unless my box is in very good condition. Also, like mine, it has the remains of an old label on the base. My mum cleaned the base so it's not very noticeable but you should still be able to see the faint outline.

Offline user9318

• Board Regular

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:56:32 AM »
I had a quick mooch around on eBay and found small boxes with turquoise, lapis, and carnelian stones from Nepal, so that's another avenue to explore TC. Like this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/antique-Tibet-Nepal-handmade-filigree-pill-snuff-box-Inlaid-Turquoise-Carnelian-/122525068961
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk