Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Lead tobacco box  (Read 780 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Lead tobacco box
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »
I didn't even know these things existed in lead until i looked it up. The whole thing is made from lead, other than the knob on the top which seems to have been a replacement. It's as heavy as a brick, why anyone would make a tobacco box out of lead is beyond me, well, maybe it was cheap. But imagine a mixture of tobacco and lead in your pipe?

Anyway, it's decorated with thistles, acorns, flames, fleur de lis, and it's about 5 inches long. I would imagine the loose bit was there to keep the tobacco down inside the box. I've looked around but couldn't find any with feet. I wonder if this might be older than the 19th century ones i've seen on ebay?

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Lead tobacco box
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:38:09 AM »
Most of the ones online seem to be flat based but I have found some with feet, by searching for Lead tobacco box and then looking under the Images results.

Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Board User
Re: Lead tobacco box
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
I suspect the heaviness was so that it wouldn't get tossed about with the papers. Sort of a paperweight/cigarette box in one. I have a business card holder which is also as heavy as lead.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk