Only registered users can view our extensive collection of pottery marks images.

Author Topic: Jan Plichta Pottery by Wemyss and others  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Plichta

• Board Member
Jan Plichta Pottery by Wemyss and others
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:31:52 AM »
I am looking for specific information about Jan Plichta.  He was Czech by birth and in London between mid 1920's and d.1967.  He was a wholesaler of glass and pottery and plied his business from 37 Store Street, London at least between mid 1920's and late 1950's.
He had a variety of pottery manufacturers make wares for him and put his stamp "Plichta" "Plichta London England" or "Plichta London Made in England" under the glaze.
If you have not seen a "Plichta Pig" you do not know what you are missing.

Any information about Jan Plichta and/or his wife Maria would be appreciated.

Thanks, Frank Plichta

Offline Plichta

• Board Member
Re: Jan Plichta Pottery by Wemyss and others
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 02:50:35 AM »
After 6 years looking for Jan Plichta, I have pretty well exhausted the web for information.

My purpose for posting to this site is to see if someone has information, printed in some text or other resource that is not on-line.  I am also looking for English archive information which I have not previously searched.  I have just today ordered Jan's death certificate and marriage certificate.  Perhaps those will yield additional details.

If anyone has access to London City Directories after 1962 and before Jan's death in 1968 I would be interested in learning about those annual entries.

Thanks until we type again.
Frank Plichta

Offline Wan25

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »
Hello from Canada.
The reason I wanted to join your forum is because I have information about Jan Plichta.

Esther Weeks (Clark) was the head WEMYSS decorator at Bovey a Pottery after Joseph died. She knew your Jan Pkichta, the wholesaler, and she is still alive although I do not know if she is still well. Griselda Hill of Griselda Hill Pottery in Fyfe knows her.

There is a copy of a letter from Jan Plichta to Esther in Brian Adam's Bovey a Pottery book. When Esther worked with Brian making Exon WEMYSS, he helped himself to some of her Bovey things and included her name on the first printing of the Bovey book without her permission. She parted ways with him and taught Griselda Hill, who was already bringing back WEMYSS,  the WEMYSS painting techniques. Griselda a Hill owns the rights to use the WEMYSS name on her pottery .

I hope this is useful.
Wanda

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Board User
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
Hello back, also from Canada (Calgary to be specific). Welcome to the board.

Carolyn

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 11:01:06 PM »
Hi Wanda and welcome to the board. Thank you for adding your info to our stock of Jan Plichta knowledge, every bit helps us learn more about this fascinating subject. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk