Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Thimbles/Bracelet/Cameo/Mourning Jewrely  (Read 4195 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Thimbles/Bracelet/Cameo/Mourning Jewrely
« on: October 14, 2007, 09:53:47 AM »
Here is a little selection of some more Victorian stuff I have...

THIMBLE(S) - Have had only one appraised.  It is Hallmarked Birmingham, sterling silver, Year 1926, makers mark is JF (James Fenton- I believe).  Engraved floral design on it.  Then approx value was said to be $ 130.

BRACELET - Have yet to have appraised yet, but may be solid gold.  It was weighed, and I think it was @ 59 gms.  This is a Late Victorian.  Similar to one in pix at the bottom, left side on this page:  http://www.jantiques.com/jewelryhistory/lesson5.html .  This will be tested/appraised in the near future.

CAMEO - Has been appraised, but the appraisal could not test for the gold (Reason: this was when the 9-11 attacks happened, and the appraislers were NOT allowed to bring their kits on board the plane at all.  Flights were still high alert period). She noted that on my form, but she did say it was highly sought after as it had the classical head, with eloborate hair, which was up-swept, and decorated with flowers in hair.  she said it was a very detailed carving, and thought it's orgin was France.  The then value $ 175, and higher if tested (positive) gold.  She was certain it was, but due to be unable to bring  her kit...so could not state gold, and only noted untested, and value is that of untested.

MOURNING BROOCH - Also known as JET BLACK MOURNING BROOCH, cut like a cameo.  Ca late 1800's.  condition, good.  Value $ 175. Fine design.

Rose :rse:

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Re: Thimbles/Bracelet/Cameo/Mourning Jewrely
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
www.whitbyjetstore.com Rose i dont know what your black cameo is made of, but it could be Whitby Jet.
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline josordoni

• Board Moderator
  • Board Enthusiast
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:45:33 AM »
Just noticed this thread - Rose, your appraisals will be for insurance value, of course, James Fenton silver thimbles can sell for that amount in very swish silversmiths, but in the real world change hands for ?15-20 (US$20-30). Of your thimbles - is the gold looking one gold?  They do still make good premium amounts.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Board User
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
I had thought that a lot of the better cameos were made in Italy.

My Grandpa brought bags  :thd:  of them home, and sadly they got stolen when we were burgled on millenium night, but I had to find out about them for the insurance.

The value varies enormously with the quality of carving, the more detailed the FAR more expensive. This looks like it IS a very detailed one!
That being the case, whether it is set in gold or not will have little effect on the value. Gold isn't that expensive. However, if it's got some age, and it is as good a cameo as I think, it is very likely to be gold anyway.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up isn't.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:32:45 PM »
I had thought that a lot of the better cameos were made in Italy.   My Grandpa brought bags  :thd:  of them home, and sadly they got stolen when we were burgled on millenium night, but I had to find out about them for the insurance.

The value varies enormously with the quality of carving, the more detailed the FAR more expensive. This looks like it IS a very detailed one!
That being the case, whether it is set in gold or not will have little effect on the value. Gold isn't that expensive. However, if it's got some age, and it is as good a cameo as I think, it is very likely to be gold anyway.

Quickly here, did have a lady look at it, and she did think it was from italy/france, and that it could be gold...as stated before that was around 9-1-1, and she could NOT bring her Gold Testing stuff on the planes....rules were tough after this.....she did say that it was very detailed, and that it had a lots of the bells, ans whistles...such as the hair up-swept, and flowers in the hair.  By the way it was designed, she said too that the carving was very detailed....anyways.....if SANTA brings me a better camera...I will try to re-post. So I best get going to z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z......
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk