Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Zeuthen, Denmark - any experts out there?  (Read 9883 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Zeuthen, Denmark - any experts out there?
« on: January 05, 2008, 07:35:28 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Zeuthen, Denmark?  They appear to make jugs, bowls, teapots (red earthenware?) with applied white and/or blue decoration.  The first bowl I bought a long time ago had blue spots on the inside.  Unfortunately I didn't keep an image after selling it.  This little dish bought today has white flowers with a blue centre.  From the pieces I've seen, they're always marked in the same way on the base (see above).   Sometimes pieces have a cane handle.  I spotted a lidded pot with a cane handle in a local collectables shop and wish I'd bought it before it closed down recently. 

I've tried to find out about Zeuthen Pottery but nothing comes up.  I think it's also a place in Denmark, but may be the pottery doesn't exist any more?.  The pieces always appear quite old with crazing under the white glaze, or with worn cane handles, so I'm guessing they date back to the 50s-60s or earlier.

This little jug, also red earthenware, looks very 'Zuethenish' with its raised white spots, but has an unglazed base with no markings.  I reckon this dates back to the 50s.

:)

Anne E.B.

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Re: Zeuthen, Denmark - any experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:44:39 PM »
Hi Anne,
Just found an article about Zeuthen, will translate asap.  :)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »
Thank you so much that's really kind of you :kissy:, but there's absolutely no rush at all and any time will do when its convenient for you :comp:  :sun:
Anne E.B.

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 06:52:19 AM »
Hi Anne, it?s a bit disappointing I'm afraid. Thought I had found more...
This is from antikbrevkassen:
" The ceramics company Nordisk Brugskunst ( Nordic Applied Art) was founded around 1946 by Normann Zeuthen who introduced the name "Zeuthen Keramik" in 1948. This name was used thereafter.
It was quite a large pottery with 10 - 15 employees who produced a wide selection of practical or purely decorative items in red clay. Several designs were the work of Edith Nielsen who went on to get her own place, ditto Eigil Knuth, who was responsible for a couple of designs.
Articles were mostly seen with a partial glaze decoration of dots, stripes, clover leaves, small flowers or stars and all were made at a time when many potteries and designers were experimenting with glazed red clay."
There is mention of two books being written about ceramics in Denmark which should include info about Zeuthen;I haven't been able to trace them  :boohoo:

Tip from antique expert in one of the newspapers re. "what's hot, what's not " "if you see Zeuthen, buy it! It won't lose it's value"
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »
Great information and not in the least disappointing!  A big thank you for taking the time to obtain it  :clap:  :kissy:  I'll certainly be looking out for more pieces on my travels, not that there appears to be much of it.  Its quite distinctive and easily spotted (or should that be dotted? ;D ).  I'll do more searches to see if I can add any more to your excellent info.

Anne E.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk