Only registered users can view our extensive collection of pottery marks images.

Author Topic: Dissing Danish  (Read 10305 times)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Dissing Danish
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:17:30 PM »
I found a mention of a potter called Leon Dissing (1897-1986) who worked in Horsens. Here's the link: http://www.ceramicstoday.com/articles/danish_ceramics6.htm (about 1/2 way down the page.)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Dissing Danish
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:03:34 PM »
There is also pottemager Ejner Dissing, 1894-1974, http://www.antikbrevkassen.dk/stort.asp?selbinr=5653  8)

They could still be going: http://www.danmarks.net/firma.phtml?idxno=1418&letter=D&accno=147374
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Martyn

• Board User
Dissing Danish
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:44:34 PM »
that looks promising Anne....

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Dissing Danish
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »
Doesn't it Martyn?  I rather feel there may be a connection between the Dissing I first posted and the second one though, as Horsens features in both links.  My 25-year past small amount of Danish isn't good enough to prove this though.
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Dissing Danish
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:30:23 AM »
Hi Anne,
I followed the links, did a bit of searching from them, and found the following:
Einar Dissing, lived 1894 - 1974, established "Hovedgaard Keramik"in Horsens  in 1920. ( When the double aa was substituted by ?, the spelling changed to Hovedg?rd, but that's a by the way)

The Hovedg?rd Keramik that is running today is in that part of the country but I doubt it has anything to do with the original. It is situated in a town called Hovedg?rd.
does that help at all?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Dissing Danish
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 04:20:17 PM »
Aine, thank you, you are a  :*: - it seems your Einar (1894-1974) is the same person as the Ejnar (1894-1974) I found, and as he worked in Horsens then there is a good chance that Leon (1897-1986) could be connected to him as well... perhaps a brother or cousin looking at the dates? Is there anywhere we can find out some more about them Aine?
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Dissing Danish
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »
Well, it isn't as clear cut as you would think, what ever is? ;D
Translating on the fly, as it were..

Jens Andreas Pedersen Dissing (1866 - 1932)was a potter and 7 out of his 8 children were taught by him. All 7 went on to have their own workshops.

One of them, Leon Dissing was employed in  DANICO and Annashaab ( Anna's hope )until he decided to get his own place in 1930.
To begin with his selection was very limited but soon he expanded it with plates, figures, wallvases, vases, jars, teasets, "barselspotter" ( don't know if these were ever made in England but they large covered pots  full of food which neighbours took to a woman who after she had given birth ) and raised cake-or flowerstands.
He made some interesting items with a black glaze and orange-red edges, also exciting things with a green glaze almost like a lapwing's eggshell, also with orange-red edges.
In his later years  Leon Dissing made abstract reliefs and made many things in an attractive rustic style. Items made by Leon Dissing were not always signed but they may have  an "engraved", intertwined LD on the base or an impressed DISSING with a handwritten L infront.

That was Leon. This was taken from the Danish version
I found a mention of a potter called Leon Dissing (1897-1986) who worked in Horsens. Here's the link: http://www.ceramicstoday.com/articles/danish_ceramics6.htm (about 1/2 way down the page.)

Now from
Ah OK, so how about pottemager Ejner Dissing, 1894-1974, http://www.antikbrevkassen.dk/stort.asp?selbinr=5653  8)

They could still be going: http://www.danmarks.net/firma.phtml?idxno=1418&letter=D&accno=147374

" Here in Denmark, the Dissing name, in ceramiks context, is particularly connected to the Dissing workshops where several generations produced ceramic items. The birds you have shown us ( By the way, the label says the same as Kev's. It just isn't shown on the picture but the words and spelling are the same)
These birdes are reputedly desigened by Ejnar Dissing who from the middle of the 50's had his own workshop in Hedensted and who attained great popularity with his figures of small birds, often fullsize or a little smaller. When the workshop was sold, the new owners were given permission to use the Dissing name."

I think possibly that the name has been carried on because your second link  "links" to a company which doesn't seem to exist any more. I looked up the phone number and it leads to a person who is a factory owner. Nothing about ceramics, but I can see that he is very active in local politics and in cultural life around the town ;D

Have been everywhere I can think of to find out more but the links that have been suggested are the best and the most informative! :clap:

Given that 7 sons of a potter all started their own places, I reckon it's pretty likely that Ejnar Dissing was a bother to Leon. And Hedensted ain't that far from Horsens! ;)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Dissing Danish
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 11:33:54 PM »
Aine, that's really useful, thank you. (I'm so sorry, I could have sworn I'd replied after your long post above, as I know I read it with great interest - heck, I even told Barry all about it whilst driving somewhere the other day!)
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Dissing Danish
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:01:27 AM »
No problem, glad to know it is of interest :)

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Dissing Danish
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »
Bumping this, as a query  about Dissing has emerged  on a Swedish board. Will let you know if anything turns up  :)

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Dissing Danish
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 08:07:47 PM »
Actually bumping this, as a query  about Dissing has emerged  on a Swedish board. Will let you know if anything turns up  :)

Hi, just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about Dissing! The Swedish board has nothing to add so far. They have discovered less than the Potty board.. :beer:

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Dissing Danish
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »
www.igp.dk/horsens/visfirma.asp?mode=d   Scroll down to Dissing Keramik Produktions,  could this be it??
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Dissing Danish
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 08:59:41 AM »
Hi Sue,
The link goes to a very local telephone directory, when I search all the other phone books in the country there is absolutley no reference to Dissing Keramik Produktions. It's the same one I found earlier in the thread, where the new owners were allowed to keep the name.
Took the bull by the horns and called the number; the  gentleman who answered told me that he closed the company three years ago, when he became 70.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk