Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: James Broadhurst and Sons Ltd  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
James Broadhurst and Sons Ltd
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »
Coffee pot by Broadhurst Pottery - I think this could be a Kathie Winkle design. I recall us having pieces in some of her patterns when I was a child.

Blog post about Kathie Winkle showing some of her designs: http://katebeavis.com/we-love-kathie-winkle/
There is one Winkle designed plate in the V & A Collection and two plates in Stoke Museum

Pinterest has lots of Kathie Winkle examples and Kathie Winkle has a page on Facebook.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Re: James Broadhurst and Sons Ltd
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:29:23 AM »
You can find these quite easily in charity shops. My favourite is the Compass pattern.

I've got a set of these Carousel plates...

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »
I like that design TC. I've not seen them about here but shall keep my eyes open now I have. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline chopin-liszt

• Board User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »
 :cheerleader:

I like Kathie Winkle!
Picked up a nice coffee pot recently (hid it from Michael, don't really know what I'm going to do with it, but this is the effect this board is having on me :ft:).

I've got a few sideplates, use them for general kitchen stuff, not for good "on the table" (that's my Denby "Baroque") - for putting stuff on in the 'fridge, for a spoon rest, for a coffee filter rest etc. They're left over from a set I had from new, back in the '70s. I think the nasty (silly size!) little coffee cups and saucers went to a charity shop. Don't think I ever had dinner plates. :-\
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up isn't.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
I finally bought myself The Designs of Kathie Winkle book for Christmas (as you do!) as I  wanted to know more about the patterns she created. I didn't know that the designs were stamped onto the pottery before being hand coloured. The book is fascinating and, as well as the background of the company and the process, includes photos of over 122 designs, which were made in two basic shapes: Tudor and Delta. My coffee pot is a Delta shape. The Moorland pattern dates from c.1972 and is shown in coffee and cream colours, but my pot is Moorland 2 which appears to be a variant of the same design in different colours. It's not mentioned in the book at all but there are references to such variations being made.
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:30:37 PM »
Cheers!
 Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk