Is there something you feel would add to the forum? If so, login and make your suggestion in the Board Discussion forum.

Author Topic: Alcopops are not new  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
Alcopops are not new
« on: April 05, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
A souvenir programme for King George V Silver Jubilee Celebrations 6th May 1935 in Maghull, Lancashire.

Full programme of events (I fancy the treacle bun race!), various bits of editorial, Royal photos and lots of great local adverts. Textured card cover with red and blue printing with silver trim (very expensive for 1935!) Fascinating in local and national terms

See the advert for 39 different ready mixed cocktails
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Alcopops are not new
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:04:50 PM »
Fascinating indeed Christine, and 3d to buy it would have been a significant amount given that the world was in depression and many places had little or no work.

Just as a comparison, during WW2 a pint of milk cost 2d and a loaf of bread 4d, so spending 3d on a booklet would be thought extravagant by many families (and I can't imagine what they'd have made of cocktails!  :o)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
Re: Alcopops are not new
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
I think Maghull was becoming a dormitory town for Liverpool and expanding quite fast. A new house with labour-saving devices and gas cost you from ?600 apparently. Judging from the adverts, many Maghull residents were quite well off. They were obviously anticipating parking issues.

Important Notice
"Motorists are specially requested not to leave their cars either on the New Diversion Road, Hall Lane or Liverpool Road, but to use the official car park on the field. Entrance Liverpool Road.

All cycles must be parked in the official car park, infringement will mean expulsion from the field.

No icecream vendors or hawkers allowed on the field."
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk