Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Beehive and cat mark on earthenware studio pottery bowl - ID = Viscar pottery  (Read 9211 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Not mine unfortunately, but my son's. 
Earthenware bowl with a beehive and cat mark inscribed on the side.
We must be looking in all the wrong places.  Lots of beehive marks but mostly on porcelain/china and not studio pottery.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.  TIA ;D
Anne E.B.

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Re: Beehive and cat mark on earthenware studio pottery bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »
Hi Anne E.B thats the mark for Carol Scott, 1947 - 1990 , the Viscar pottery, Helston, Cornwall.
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »
EXCELLENT!  We are both actually sat here trawling through websites trying to find it and just spotted your email!  Greg sends a big THANKYOU ;D

We haven't seen that one at all.  Greg missed out on a larger collection of this pottery - at ?1 a piece  (3 bowls and matching jug) but he did nab one bowl much to the annoyance of a dealer(spit!)

Many thanks :kissy:

Anne E.B.

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:24:52 PM »
Your welcome heres a link http://www.scotpot.com/
Liverpool anthem.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »
We've just bought a copy of "British Studio Potters' Marks" (Yates-Owen & Fournier) between us, so hopefully now, we'll be able to ID some ourselves in the future.  :D

Anne E.B.

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Well, what do you think of the book Anne E. B. ?
Liverpool anthem.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
It looks pretty impressive with masses of marks, which is what I wanted and I'm sure I'll find it useful, although two recent pieces I posted here, weren't shown,  or at least I couldn't find them which was really disappointing.   It might just be that I need to get my head round using the book correctly, but its early days yet and I've only used it briefly so far.

I like the layout and its easy on my eyes.  Just hate small text all squashed up which I find difficult to read.   Eventually, when I get time, I'll dig out my box of pottery and try to ID some of the unknowns. 

We got the book between us online through Amazon and at a much lower price fortunately.  It saves me a trip to the library in town where there's only one copy in the reference library.

Anne E.B.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Oh dear!  I'm having a few doubts about the book.  I've looked up several marks on pieces that I and my son have, or have seen and wanted to check up on, and they don't seem to be in the book.  I'm a little disappointed as I'd hoped the book would enable me to ID things so easily.  May be I just expect too much from one book ???

Can anyone recommend another book?  May be one that includes some less known studio potters and potteries.

Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Hi there Anne EB...

What about these?  Anything there you might like?
http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/br.cgi

And I think there was another topic here where there was a link posted about a book that had all sorts of marks.....I wonder if TC knows what book I mean.

Oh TC  :tgs:....
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
No idea which one you mean.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Have you looked through the Books forum Rose? ;)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
No I have not, but will do that.  I know I have stumbled on Googled a few times about a book that a bunch of pics on it....and I think I have referred to it here, but I will have to do a search to see if I can figure out which one I mean....
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk