If you are using a shared PC make sure you log out at the end of your session. This protects your account privacy and especially important if you use a PC in a public library or an internet cafe.

Author Topic: Vintage Xmas Cards  (Read 4305 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Vintage Xmas Cards
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »
From an Estate.  This card appears to be from the 60's or 70's era.  Lithographed in Canada.  Today, you have to be much more politically correct, and not say anything about one race.

I like the old time retro colors of it...
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Vintage Xmas Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
Isn't it fascinating how card designs change over the years? That's such an unusual one Rose. It prompted me to dig out my box of cards inherited from my Gran, and share them. These are slightly older than Rose's one, we *think* they date from the early years of my grandparents marriage which would make them early to mid-1920s. Despite the very "home-made" look these are all commercially created cards with printed insides (done on a letterpress printing machine.)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
Another two from the 1920s
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:56:40 AM »
And this one is later, sent by my Mum to Gran and Grandpa, we think it was from the 1940s. On the back it says
Lychgate Ltd. Worthing  Hand Coloured Made in Gt Britain R1903

Not at all a Christmas scene, is it!
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
Yes, my card posted here -- is (sort of racist) type of card, would also make it collectible.  Things (even if a joke) are not done like that today....

Oh Gee Anne - those are really nice.  :clap:

They give me a warm, and fuzzy feeling.  Xmas was SO much more simplistic years ago, and sending cards was very important since people did not have like 4 cars.  :love3:

How has Christmas changed....I really liked your pics there of those old cards  :hby:  Glad you are preserving a piece of History!!!

Here is a link to one of mine: http://www.yobunny.com/pottery/index.php?topic=9862.0 already posted here.
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk