Is there something you feel would add to the forum? If so, login and make your suggestion in the Board Discussion forum.

Author Topic: Pins I inherited  (Read 6937 times)

Offline deco.queen

• Board Regular
  • I Love Anything Art Deco
    • Marvelous Metal-A collection with glass & pottery
Pins I inherited
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:23:35 PM »
I see we have more in common than glass!  I have collected jewelry since I was a child and in college got nicknamed Ringo because I always had on at least 5 rings.  ;D
These 2 pins are porcelain, china, 1 15/16" tall.  I think they came from the grandmother that was German, English.  My other grandmother was Danish, Irish.  Yes, like our new president I'm a mutt.  The one guy is sowing seeds, I guess and the other a blacksmith?  I'm just wondering which place they might of come from...I've been thinking Germany.
The other picture is other pieces I inherited.  No fancy jewels handed down....darn!

Janice
Author of "The Fabulous World of Farberware"

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Pins I inherited
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:25:40 PM »
What interesting brooches, I've never seen any like them before.  No marks anywhere I take it Janice?
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline deco.queen

• Board Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »
No, no marks at all.
Janice

Offline ChimpMad

• Board User
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:19:13 AM »
Forget 'fancy' jewels, those pins are gorgeous. I'd date them at early 18thC and most probably German. They look to me like a farming couple, he with a 'corn-sling' and she dressed for slaughter, possibly of a pig, with protective leather apron and heavy mallet over the shoulder. I don't know where I'd stop bidding for a pair like these, but a divorce could be on the cards! I wish I could see them 'in the flesh' so I could be sure.
The silver jewellery is possibly Danish but could also be French (the purse especially has a French look), but the necklaces have a native North American look to them. Is there a chance that the yellow beads are amber, and the other necklace bone?
And if we're talking 'Mutts'; I'm 1/2 English, 1/4 Canadian, 1/8 German and 1/8 Libyan; a true mongrel if ever one existed (and I still can't quite work out what went where!).
If you always expect the worst you'll never be disappointed.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:16:11 AM »
Neat pins.  :clap:  i never have seen the man/women like that either.  they look old to me too.

yeah, was wondering if that was amber too.

...and Canadian here, with European roots (Hungarian)... ;D
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline deco.queen

• Board Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:38:46 AM »
Oops, forgot to say that the beads on the left are made of rolled wallpaper and my grandmother made them.  The amber color necklace is glass, I do have some real amber.  The little purse does have a mark, boy is it tiny!  There is an arrow head mark with what looks like a circle with an upside down Y coming out of it.  I don't know if I can get a better picture but I'll try.  Glad you like the little people!  I always thought they were neat.
Janice

Offline ChimpMad

• Board User
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:18:04 PM »
Rolled wallpaper? Your Grandmother was a genius  :clap:

Offline deco.queen

• Board Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »
I thought the wallpaper beads were kind of common, I've seen them before.  I did get a better picture of the mark on the sterling and here is a close up of the beads.
Janice

Offline ChimpMad

• Board User
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
That's something I've never seen before, very cleverly done. I've seen lots of papier mache beads but never rolled wallpaper. Did your Granddad mind the bare strips on the walls?  ;D

Offline Pat

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
I just bought a new beading magazine and there is an article on rolled paper beads in that.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 07:47:39 PM »
They're great fun to make, and quite easy.  They're just held together with a couple of minute spots of glue, and they look nice varnished.
Anne E.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk