For your safety passwords need to be a mixture of upper & lowercase letters and digits and at least 8 characters long.

Author Topic: Amber bead necklace.  (Read 9609 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Amber bead necklace.
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »
I thought the beads were plastic when I bought it from a carboot a couple of days ago, and the seller even said "it's not real".  However, it appears to be real amber ;D

It seemed far too heavy to be plastic, and too warm to be glass, so out came the jeweller's loupe.  There are some little insects and some unrecognisable bits in it.  It also first  passed the static electricity test with bits of tissue paper and the fingernail scratch test (found on the web).  Its a bit too big and heavy for the salt water test in the kitchen and I don't have that much salt, but just for curiosity, I'll take it down to the beach and place it into a rock pool, where it should float.  Just hope no-one's about when I do it :o

From what I can discover, they are pressed amber beads, which means that smaller pieces of amber have been melted under great pressure and formed into these uniform bead shapes.  I'm not sure where the amber originates from.  I thought I might be able to tell from the colour, but its not so clear cut.  The beads are a nice deep honey colour with lighter opaque streaky bits.   I think its quite old judging from the clasp, and its threaded on cord.   I've tried to show the largest beastie, which looks intact with long thin legs - a bit like a flea :-\  but my camera's not the best.
Anne E.B.

Offline keith

• Board Addict
Re: Amber bead necklace.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »
If you rub and then sniff it supposed to have a similar smell to pine resin,so my little book tells me,
                                  Keith.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:33:16 PM »
I've tried that - but can't really detect a smell, but apparently if you use a hot needle, that will give off a pine smell if its really amber, but it leaves a mark and damages it.  I might just have a go at that tomorrow, on the flat edge of one bead where the cord goes through.  I'm usually good at smells, a bit like a blood hound my OH says!  One of those people who sniffs things when I buy them, or so I'm told,  ;D particularly clothing.  If it doesn't smell nice, I don't buy :czy:
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »
Anne EB, try using the loop in front of your camera.  I posted a techie tip here as it worked for me.  See:  http://www.yobunny.com/pottery/index.php?topic=11080.0

I also used this trick on a piece of Amber posted there for an example.  Amber can come in many varieties.

I can see the *bug* thing you mean - but try the techie tip to zoom in on the bug also...

Also can we have a close up of the clasp...
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »
I tried your suggestion Rose, but found it really difficult.  However, I used one of those large reading lenses instead and the image of the insect is a little clearer.  So here it is - legs akimbo ;D  (all two of them).

The clasp is metal of some kind - may be brass.

Anne E.B.

Offline keith

• Board Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
That's a strange insect!

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
You're right it is strange!  In fact its absolutely horrible and unlike anything I've ever seen.
The "legs" may actually be antennae. 
Anne E.B.

Offline keith

• Board Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
Think they are the front legs and 'he' is upsidedown,saved the image and magnified the pic',hope you don't mind,
                                               Keith.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »
 :24: :24: :24:
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »
Hi Anne EB -- Would that clip be from the 70's era? I am just going from what I remember of my necklaces and the style of clips on them.  Is there any writing (imprints) on the Clasps that you can see (need the magnifying glass again.....lol)

Looks like a bug to me.......and Keith pic looks like a space alien :abduct:

I think in the 70's era, Amber was quite popular then too.

here is some reading:
http://imageevent.com/bluboi/haskellclasps
http://www.choosing-bead-necklaces.com/clasps_and_fastenings.html
http://www.jewelry-paideia.com/reference/ref-vintage-jewelry-6.php
http://www.jewelsntreasures.com/rClasps.html
** http://diabellalovescats.com/necklaces.htm  Has about clasps, and amber

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Great links Rose :kissy:.  I've bookmarked them for future reference.

I think you're right about it being c.70's.  I too remember those type of clasps.  No markings unfortunately.  I've still yet to see if it floats.  Will walk down to the beach tomorrow and try, but  I'm just wondering if the collective weight will be heavy and it will sink anyway???  Perhaps you are supposed to just try it with smaller pieces of amber, or single beads.  Anyway, will report back.
Anne E.B.

Offline Pat

• Board Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
Yes the clasp looks 70's and they are still usig them ut they are darker. I usually go by the static test.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »
Hi Pat :)  I did try the static test and it worked, using tiny pieces of paper.  I don't think the necklace is worth very much.  Its re-constituted amber - lots of bits moulded together in the shape of the beads, from what I can gather.  I did offer it to my daughter, but I don't think she was very impressed, and the fact that it is heavy didn't help either.
Anne E.B.

Offline Pat

• Board Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
HI Anne, I've just bought a similar one for 10p. However mine is very light in weight as is most of the amber I have had. Mine is a bit sad I think but we'll see what it fetches. I can't lose can I? LOL
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
A absolute bargain!!!!
Good luck with the selling :gcheer:
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
I hadn't realised amber was so light, but thinking about it, that makes sense!
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk