For your safety passwords need to be a mixture of upper & lowercase letters and digits and at least 8 characters long.

Author Topic: Lace lady picture  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Lace lady picture
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »
Does anyone know what this technique is called please?  I'm not sure if its machine or hand made.  She's attached in some way to a piece of felt type fabric and came in a nasty photo frame which someone had put her in.
TIA ;)
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Lace lady picture
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
Anne, I wonder if she's tatting?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatting
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:10:06 PM »
Could be, although it seems to be done with very fine yarn if it is - and thinner than the normal sewing threads that I've got.  I'll dig out some needlework/craft  books at the local library to see if I can track it down some. 
Anne E.B.

Offline deco.queen

• Board Regular
  • I Love Anything Art Deco
    • Marvelous Metal-A collection with glass & pottery
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »
I think she's wonderful!!  Can you post a close up of the stitches? Big so I can see if it's a crochet stitch.  I have a hook that is so tiny I'd go cross-eyed using it.
Janice
Author of "The Fabulous World of Farberware"

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »
Thanks Janice. Much appreciated ;)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/DSCF5665.jpg
I've done a photobucket link because the image will be bigger.  I've placed a tape measure alongside just to give you a better idea of size/scale.

No luck at the library.  Wish I hadn't given all my craft/needlework books away now.
Anne E.B.

Offline deco.queen

• Board Regular
  • I Love Anything Art Deco
    • Marvelous Metal-A collection with glass & pottery
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
Thanks, seeing the weave in it I think it is lace work, not tatting or crochet.  My grandmother did tatting and me crochet and they both have loops that hold the piece together.  Here's two examples of lace work I found. 
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/belladonnaantiques/item/TEX-141
http://cgi.ebay.com/Slovak-folk-costume-dancers---European-lace-art_W0QQitemZ400056775931QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090619?IMSfp=TL090619173005r1333
Janice
Author of "The Fabulous World of Farberware"

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
Thank you Janice :kissy: 
The Slovak folk dancers in the second link you give are fabulous! And its nice to see how its made too with those little bobbins.  I wish I had the patience to do needle craft, and had good eyesight too :mrgreen:
Anne E.B.

Offline ChimpMad

• Board User
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
A very nice piece of lacework Anne, and definitely hand-made. If it were done on a machine the stitches would be tight, identically sized and perfectly evenly spaced, whereas the stitching on yours is far looser and more irregular, making it a more natural-looking and attractive piece than a machine could acheive. It's very well made too, and must have taken quite a few hours to make. It's a shame it's been stuck on felt though, it would look very striking mounted on black card.
If you always expect the worst you'll never be disappointed.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
Thanks CM.  Its nice to know its hand-made.  Fortunately its only attached to the backing sheet with the odd tiny stitch here and there, but I'm not going to attempt to remove it in case I cut the lace.

I've got another nice piece of craft work that I've recently bought - a map of England showing places of historical interest - all done with cross stitch/embroidery.  I'll post a pic. later on.
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »
Oh, that stitch lady is SO pretty.... I am  :mrgreen: with envy.  I have a embroidery thing here too I bought at a garage sale.  It is in a frame like someone Grandma had made it, and they framed it.  I will post in another (new) topic, and I do not know about this stuff.

Again  :mrgreen: of your LACE LADY...
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
Here's the cross stitch map that I mentioned.  Its mostly cross-stitch, but there are some straight stitches too.

Its quite large and the frame is heavy with its non-reflective glass.  I don't like n-r-g and much prefer ordinary glass.  It has a strange grey tint to it and it always reminds me of looking through dense plastic - but that's just MHO :)

I would imagine it was bought in kit form, with an added personal bit at the bottom.  It was an 18th birthday present for a young man from his Gran, who also made it.  He obviously didn't much like it, as its dated 2005, and I bought it at a carboot sale.  Its probably not the type of present a young feller would really wish for for his 18th, no matter how much he loved his Gran IMHO ;D  Although it is quite lovely and was obviously a labour of love :rse:

Reminds me in a round-about way of some of the 'hideous' gifts that I've had over the years that were relegated to the bottom draw and just pulled out when the relative visited :24:  And may be some of the 'hideous' hand knitted things I made for my OH years ago, which were only worn once :bad: 
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
Lovely teddy, and Lovely pictures....that is really nice.  :clap:   I will have to go take a picture here of my item and post it.......
<pauses......wait to see me run below as the smiley.....lol....>

:bolt:

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 01:32:39 AM »
Anne, that's lovely, but I agree it's not what most modern 18 year old males would appreciate as a gift. How sad that it was disposed of from the family so quickly though. Perhaps grannie has died so they feel safe in disposing of it.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Board User
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 12:24:54 AM »
Yes, I have seen similar cross stitch kits/patterns to this one. Shame the young lad did not have more respect for his grannie, but there you go....

Carolyn

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »
Here is my item....not as pretty as yours.....but I still like.  Looks alike someone (at least) cared for the person that made this and put it in a frame behind glass.  Maybe to remember for a while - but alas - as everything, it too went to the wayside of a garage sale.....

.....but THEN ALONG I CAME, to rescue it.... AND  ;D till the day I drop dead  :thd:, and it ends up in a garage sale again....  :boohoo:

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »
Oooh - that's really gorgeous! :mrgreen:  I can see French knots and chain stitch I think, and what looks like couching.  It looks really textured and almost 3-D and the colours are lovely.  Good for you rescuing it!  I'd do the same if I saw it too.  Good job we both weren't there at the same time :ft: :24: :rse:

I'll have to take a pic. of some "lace knitting" that I bought yesterday.  These things seem to come in three's... ;D
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
Here they are...
Two lace knitted pieces, presumably both collars, as one has a velvet ribbon threaded through.

The beige coloured one came in a plastic bag and displayed on a piece of card on which had been added a couple of labels.  One, the title "Lace Knitting", and the other "Assessor's Remarks: Good choice of colour. Very neat and beautifully knitted."

I would imagine this was entered for some local craft fair competition, or may be a Women's Guild type event.  The white one is knitted using a finer yarn

I can't imagine anyone wearing one of these, not these days anyway, so they might date back to a more genteel era.    They're both quite long, and might look nice attached to the bottom of a small lampshade, but I think I'll pass on that one ;) 
Anne E.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk