Is there something you feel would add to the forum? If so, login and make your suggestion in the Board Discussion forum.

Author Topic: Fox on plinth  (Read 10772 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Fox on plinth
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »
Hi, does anyone know who could have made this? I don't wish to separate the fox from it's base since it would be difficult not to spoil it anyway.

It's signed on the side 'RT'.

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Re: Fox on plinth
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »
Okay then i'll try to seperating it by putting it in warm water, it's proving difficult though.

I wonder if it is Capodimonte?

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
Might be best leaving it on the base.  It looks quite narrow and is probably safer nicely balanced on the base.  Nice looking fox ;)  can't help with the ID tho, but will look out for something similar.
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:41:58 AM »
Oh I LIKE it on the base.  I would not remove it from it.  I think it gives it character.

I am just guessing --- but maybe something English as to do with the *hunt* of the Fox and hounds.  Looks like it say *RT*

Some R here:  http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/r/index.html
Some T here:  http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/t/index.html

maybe REED & TAYLOR -- IF it was a Company name, NOT an individual letters to their name.  As we do not know if RT is a company name, or initials of one person -- so just a wild guess here

Looks made well to me...  ;)

Kinda unusual that the Fox face is lighter - could that be that he's older?? Most fox I found here on the Net have *dark* faces....??

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
TC I'd not separate it in case it causes damage. I've looked through a couple of books for that mark but not found anything yet...  it'll turn up somewhere I'm sure. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
Ah, too late, i already grabbed it by the tail, shook it around and hammered the base off with a mallet. Just kidding.  ;D

There was no mark on the base, shame. It's made from an odd type of pottery, very brittle, some of the glaze has rubbed off in places, see the white bits in the photos above.

Inside there's a white substance, a bit like chalk but it's obviously not. It was probably something left over after firing. The holes seem to have been rounded off, they have a flat edge to them.

Yes, Rose, i think it might be hunting related too as it has a very large scar across it's face.

I think the RT is related to the artist or designer rather than a company.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
"Ah, too late, i already grabbed it by the tail, shook it around and hammered the base off with a mallet. Just kidding."

You weren't wearing a red jacket and on horseback at the time were you?
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:17:02 AM »
Ah, too late, i already grabbed it by the tail, shook it around and hammered the base off with a mallet. Just kidding;D

:o :o :hlp: :bad:  TC.......

What is done - is done....lol.....we will keep *hunting* here too TC
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »
Fox hunting ha hah ha ha ha hah ha.   :24:

:beer:

Offline Martyn

• Board User
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »
Could it be painted plaster Tony, is the "glaze" fired?

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »
I don't think it's fired, it's too easy to scratch away. The pottery itself is rather tough, i thought plaster was quite soft?

Offline Martyn

• Board User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »
Some casting plasters are extremely hard... if you have any descaler and put a drop on the base I think it will effervesce and over time eat into the surface if it's plaster, just be careful not to breath in any fumes. Vinegar should do the same a bit more slowly.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
Makes a difference if you google *plinth* or *wood base*.  I had to google the word PLINTH myself as I had never heard that term over here (across the pond).  Learn something new everyday...

Is is chalkware (maybe) ??????

I still feel it is old -- just by the color used in the face, and the so much more details in the face.  Hey TC -- What does the very bottom of the base look like of the wood?  Does it look machine made, or sort of hand-made?  Smooth or a bit rough?  Can you tell there?  Any indication on the wood of how it was made?

;)

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »
I tried white wine vinegar but nothing happened so maybe not plaster. As for Chalkware, i don't know, it hasn't got any mould joins anywhere.

The wood is solid wood and very smooth on the base.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »
Can you make a scratch in it the bottom of the fox with your finger nail TC - as usually with Chalkware you can do that.  Chalkware pieces I have do not have any joints either.  Just think of how a piece of chalk would be if you took you nail to it -- and it would leave a small scratch in it..

Still could be ceramic though...

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
The base scratches away with my fingernail but very difficult. I guess it's Chalkware then? Is Chalkware usually very thin and hollow though?

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 10:29:15 PM »
The only chalkware (plaster) pieces that I've seen have tended to be quite thick and heavy, and a varnish applied as opposed to a glaze on fired pottery.
I've never seen two holes on the bottom of plaster pieces either.  Either they are solid, or hollow.
I'm flummoxed  :thd:
Anne E.B.

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:10:18 PM »
I think maybe some types of pottery are quite brittle.

I have this cockerel which i think is Italian and it also has a brittle pottery base....

I was thinking maybe the cockerel is Capodimonte too.  :taped:

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »
How does this Capodimonte cockerel compare with yours?
I always thought Capodimonte was made from porcelain, but this one appears to be made from a resin composite according to the description.  Could yours be something similar?
Whoops it helps if I put the link...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Capodimonte-Armani-Large-Cockerel-Rooster-Bird-Figure_W0QQitemZ400109617466QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100318?IMSfp=TL1003181810001r39263
Anne E.B.

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »
I think that's the the same stuff as Lilliput lane and Border Fine Arts. If so, it's definitely not the same.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk