Many posts have images attached but you need to be a registered user to see them.

Author Topic: Newlyn copper tray Lighthouse and boats  (Read 6779 times)

Offline alfies dad

• Board Member
Newlyn copper tray Lighthouse and boats
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
I bought this today, i paid 25 pounds which believe was cheap for such an item
does anyone know how to date these  or rough idea when this one was made
also does anyone have an idea how much this is worth, stamped Newlyn
many thanks

Robert.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Newlyn copper tray Lighthouse and boats
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »
Hmmm Robert, I have to say I know nothing about this so I'm going to flag up a couple of websites which might help, sorry if you've already found them but they may be of use to others searching for info too:
http://www.artscrafts.org.uk/branches/newlyn/collcopper.html
http://www.artscrafts.org.uk/branches/newlyn/newillustrate.html
http://www.newlyncopper.co.uk/ - the last of the three has images from exhibition catalogues too so might be the most useful. Good luck and keep us posted. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline alfies dad

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »
Thanks Anne, I did have a brief look at these earlier, just had a second look and seen the pen tray of same design (Luggers in the harbour) and the Newlyn mark on my tray is quite small compared to the one on the link which suggests that mine is not pre war, hopefully someone will know more about it and shed some light on this piece (hope its not a fake).
This is a fair size 46cm / 26cm or 18inches / 10inches.

Thanks again

Robert

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline alfies dad

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:34 PM »
Thanks Rose, for this very interesting info, I'm not sure if my tray is real or a forgery but here in the UK we have a program on the television called 'Real Deal' and one of the dealers from the program as a shop 3 miles from where i live so if i get time i think i will take it to him to see what he thinks and if he's interested in making offer for the tray. will let you all know soon as.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
Be careful of his offer.....like when they made (any) offer on it -- I find it is usually worth more....as they are out to make $$$, but why shouldn't you get your fair shake on it.

Do you do Ebay at all?  I might be better putting in on there first -- with a reserve bid.  Not that I know that much about Ebay (as I do not do it) but I am sure you may know, or what Anne may suggest.

Just me thinking out loud......  :)
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline alfies dad

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
I think i might just let him look and maybe ask him what he thinks it is worth rather than offer this for sale, probably will ebay after, (if its genuine) 'Hoping'

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
I've seen these go for a fair old bit of money in local auctions.  Here's one of them with selling prices (hope the link works) http://www.davidlay.co.uk/BidCat/SearchResults.asp?category=&keywords=newlyn+copper+tray&status=A&Submit+now.x=35&Submit+now.y=11

They seem to be very collectable ;)
Anne E.B.

Offline alfies dad

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
Thanks Anne,  They seem to be various price ranges depending on subject matter and rarity of individual pieces, (here's hoping now that this is a rare piece)  also would imagine that these tray's mine being a drinks tray would of been used in the past, so i suppose it depends on how many have survived over the years, Had it had fish decoration this may have been towards the top end price range, I've got a bit of free time tomorrow think i will take to the shop and see what the dealer has to say, will let you know soon as.

Thanks again Robert.

Offline alfies dad

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
Still none the wiser on this, I took it to the shop on friday, unfortunatly he wasn't there, his colleague suggested I take a photograph to leave along with my phone number, so that i will do tuesday due to the bank holiday.

Its proving to be difficult but the outcome will be worth the wait, (Hopefully)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk