If you have problems with your password & need help, use the Contact button at the top to ask for help.

Author Topic: Multi-disc woodturned candlesticks  (Read 936 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Multi-disc woodturned candlesticks
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
For interest, a very nice pair of woodturned candlesticks, most probably made from some lightweight wood such as pine.  Fortunately they still have their original labels and were designed and handmade by Peter Hawthorn at Genver Crafts, Tintagel, Cornwall.  

I'm guessing they could have been made around the time Ronald Stennet-Willson's "Sheringham" multi-disc glass candlesticks (for Kings Lynn and Wedgwood) were made during the late 1960s as according to my Miller's book, these were critically aclaimed at the time, and they instantly reminded me of them.    

Successive searches for Peter Hawthorn and Genver Crafts have been unsuccessful, but small craft workshops come and go over time, and if I'm right in dating them, then it was a l-o-n-g time ago. :boohoo:
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Multi-disc woodturned candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:02:59 AM »
No mention of your candlesticks Anne (they are fab!) but I did find a mention of a Peter Hawthorn and his wife Wendy, in connection with Genver Lane - surely this has to be him??? The link is here if you want to read it
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »
Wooo - spooky ghostly goings on in Tintagel :o :)  Or perhaps its all down to the :taped: local brew
How did you find that info?  I've been searching for ages without success :thd: 

I've got another interesting pair of wood/metal candle holders which look very space-age and retro, and will post a pic. when I get time.
Thanks for the help ;)
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
Here they are - strange wood and metal tripod candle holders.   A bit space-age looking.
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:09 AM »
I stuck "Peter Hawthorn" cornwall into a Google search box, Anne...   :cheerleader:

That book is very new so it suggests Peter Hawthorn may still be around... worth a check of the phone book?

Love your other candlesticks, they are just so space-age!!!
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:08:01 AM »
Those Candle holder has a real *Atomic* look to them......

Love them!!!!

:cheerleader:
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
 ;D
They remind me of those tripod thingies in the Tom Cruise film "War of the Worlds" 8)
Anne E.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk