Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Painted wooden box marked FOREIGN  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Painted wooden box marked FOREIGN
« on: June 16, 2015, 11:29:16 PM »
No doubt made in one of the countries we didn't want to refer to by name after one of the 20th century conflicts, this is a pretty wee box (approx 6" x 4") with a lift up hinged lid. I suspect the names on the base were previous owners or the folks who gave it to the previous owners. It's kept its colours really well. No idea how old it will be, perhaps mid-20th century? 
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Re: Painted wooden box marked FOREIGN
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »
I've had something like this before, a small box big enough for playing cards, but i can't remember where it came from. This looks a bit older as well. Can you fit playing card in there do you think?

Like this one...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hand-Painted-QUEEN-OF-HEARTS-Wood-Playing-Card-TRINKET-BOX-/201369897885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee294cb9d

This one has a Polish sticker...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Wood-Wooden-Polish-Folk-Art-Hinged-Box-Pyrography-Carved-Painted-Poland-/251892037101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa5ef75ed

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Painted wooden box marked FOREIGN
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:42:03 PM »
Yes it's big enough for playing cards, TC. Those two are rather nice as well. I suspect mine may have originated in either Germany or Eastern (as in Communist) Europe, hence the FOREIGN stamp.  The lady's head brooch I posted into jewellery lives inside mine. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk