Is there something you feel would add to the forum? If so, login and make your suggestion in the Board Discussion forum.

Author Topic: Information sought on lead brooch with Egyptian design  (Read 999 times)

Offline catshome

• Board Member
Information sought on lead brooch with Egyptian design
« on: February 08, 2020, 08:45:27 PM »
This old brooch measures 6.5cm x 4.2cm.  It appears to be made of lead, and has a steel pin with brass C-clasp.  The hinge has caused a small tear in the metal on the front of the brooch.  The design appears to be an Egyptian couple.

I would be interested in any information, as this is a piece from Mum's jewellery box and she cannot tell me anything about it herself.

Thank you for looking.
Cat

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Information sought on lead brooch with Egyptian design
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 12:06:10 AM »
What an interesting thing, Cat!  The closest I've found to it is a souvenir piece from Egypt in pewter - could yours be pewter rather than lead?
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/598691787/egyptian-hieroglyphics-brooch-pewter
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline catshome

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »
Hello Anne,

What an interesting link you found.  I'm sitting with Mum at the moment and we have a difference of opinion.  She thinks it might be from the same maker, I'm still not sure how to tell lead and pewter apart.  It weighs 20g, and is so soft, I can bend it with minimal pressure.  I don't have any pewter to compare it to, but I do recall having pewter tankards years ago, and the metal seemed a little sturdier, although it did dent fairly easily.

The piece in the link was described as 1980's …..maybe it's a Past Times type of thing, a replica, although I'm not sure they would have used such an old fashioned pin/clasp.

Egyptian things were big in the 1920's.  Foreign travel was on the increase as well, and I do think it looks quite souvenir-like.

Off to google "how to identify lead".

Will add to thread if I can find out anything else.  Thanks, as always, Anne.

Cat

Offline catshome

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
Back already.  Found a really useful youtube video, and was able to write my name with the brooch.  Definitely lead......unless pewter does the same of course..... doh!  Off to check how to tell if it's pewter  :24:

Back yet again.  Apparently pewter is also described as very soft.  However, it's light and, as this brooch feels quite hefty in the hand, I'm about 99% sure it is lead.

The search continues!
Cat

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 11:21:56 PM »
I seem to recall that pewter used for tankards and plates has something different to strengthen it so it holds it shape better than that used for decorative items - very important when it's full of ale or your dinner. :)

Just checked Wikipedia, and this is what they say about pewter...
Pewter is a malleable metal alloy. It is traditionally composed of 85–99% tin, mixed with approximately 5-10% antimony, 2% copper, bismuth, and sometimes silver. Copper and antimony act as hardeners while lead is more common in the lower grades of pewter, which have a bluish tint.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline catshome

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
Who'd have thought this odd little brooch would lead to a chemistry lesson!

Based on being able to write my name with the tip of the brooch, and the weight of it, I think I'll stick with lead for now.  I need to do a bit more digging on this one, as the only lead brooches I've found appear to be metal detector and archaeological finds.  Nothing so far for 20th century.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk