For your safety passwords need to be a mixture of upper & lowercase letters and digits and at least 8 characters long.

Author Topic: Myott Son & Co. Imperial Semi-Porcelain trinket set  (Read 356 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Myott Son & Co. Imperial Semi-Porcelain trinket set
« on: September 04, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
I Couldn't resist buying this 9 piece trinket set made by Myott Son & Co.  Its missing its original tray unfortunately as I'm sure it would have had one.  The mark dates it from 1907 to 1920 as far as I can tell.  The set consists of a pair of candle holders, one large lidded powder bowl and two smaller ones, a small trinket tray, ring holder and what looks like a pot pourri lidded bowl and either a hat pin holder or something used as a talcum powder shaker(?).

Its marked "Imperial Semi Porcelain" on the base, but I'm not sure if the "Imperial" refers to the pattern or to the semi-porcelain.  In any case, I've not been able to as yet identify the pattern name.  There is a Myott website but there is a fee for joining, so I'll persevere for a while longer to see if I can track it down.   

I wasn't familiar with the term semi-porcelain, but it appears that this resembles or imitates porcelain and is a relatively hard glazed white earthenware commonly used for tableware.  It does have a nice blueish tinge to it in the way that real porcelain does.  Apparently semi-porcelain was first used in 1880.

Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Myott Son & Co. Imperial Semi-Porcelain trinket set
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:26:53 PM »
That is lovely Anne! If I had unlimited space I would collect pottery and porcelain trinket sets as well as glass ones, but unless I win the lottery and buy a huge house, that has to remain a dream.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »
Same here :x-fingers:.  I'd love a modern architect designed house, a bit like some of the ones seen on Grand Designs, but then I don't know how my retro glass and pottery would look in such a building.  Plus I've got so much that if all of my collections were displayed, (some remain boxed up in the garage)  it might look like a shop!
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
I've just discovered that what I thought was possibly a pot pourri lidded bowl (first picture shown at back), is in fact known as a hair receiver https://www.rubylane.com/blog/categories/antiques-art/reminisce-what-are-hair-receivers/  Its designed to hold the hair removed from a hair brush, which is then wrapped around your finger and placed into the hair receiver via the hole at the top.   

I presume the same goes for glass trinket sets too???

Back to Christmas jobbies ;)

Anne E.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk