If you are using a shared PC make sure you log out at the end of your session. This protects your account privacy and especially important if you use a PC in a public library or an internet cafe.

Author Topic: Vanity Fair Ad 1870..  (Read 6154 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Vanity Fair Ad 1870..
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:45:42 AM »
I have this old  ad from Vanity Fair.  Date says 1870....

The frame of this is interesting, as It might be Bakelit...I had bought this only for the pic, but maybe the frame may be more valualble...???

Rose  :rse:
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Vanity Fair Ad 1870..
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:41:19 AM »
The frame looks modern to me Rose. I don't recall bakelite frames, I think they went from wood to modern plastics.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 04:04:30 AM »
I guess it is hard to tell from the pix, but the black around the frame is an like an insert of black.  Its not wood, as their is a small chip in in, and also I have an old black bakelite phone, and it seems to be the same materisal.....BUT I am going to do the test on it, as soon as I get the right stuff to test it.

Rose  :rse:
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:37:56 AM »
One way to test for bakelite is to rub it hard and fast till it gets warm, if it's bakelite it smells. The other way is with a hot pin, I don't think it melts. If you have a look on the web, there are ways to test for bakelite that don't involve any "stuff"
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:47:03 AM »
One way to test for bakelite is to rub it hard and fast till it gets warm, if it's bakelite it smells. The other way is with a hot pin, I don't think it melts. If you have a look on the web, there are ways to test for bakelite that don't involve any "stuff"

According to one book I have it's suposed to smell like moth balls when rubbed.  :-\

Bakelite.  ::)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 01:09:14 AM »
Christine is right, this page tells you simple ways to test for bakelite, Rose:
http://home.planet.nl/~kockpit/collectors.htm  and some more useful info about Bakelite here: http://www.worldint.com/science/bakelite.html :bny:  The warning about celluloid is worth remembering as well!
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
Also, Bakelite doesn't melt when you put paint-stripper on it, thankfully. Some 1980s dolt had painted over lots of 1930s Bakelite ceiling roses and wall sockets in my place - apparently minty green suited their tastes better.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk