If you have problems with your password & need help, use the Contact button at the top to ask for help.

Author Topic: Bischoff & the Schutzverband Bildender K?nstler  (Read 4834 times)

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
Bischoff & the Schutzverband Bildender K?nstler
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
I've been trying to track down any information (including a first name) on an artist called Bischoff who was a member of, or at least associated with, the Schutzverband Bildender K?nstler (SBK) in N?rnberg during the late 1940s. Bit of an obscure long-shot, I know.

But, hopefully, an easier question... my German isn't terribly good at the best of times, and I'm struggling to translate the name of the SBK and the strapline of an SBK 1948 exhibition poster I have into English.

The full poster text is:
"Schutzverband Bildender K?nstler in der gewerkschaft geistig und kulturell schaffender"

Is it, approximately, Trade Union Association of Visual Arts, and then something to do with more culture, intellect and creativity?

Offline M

• Researcher Author
  • Board Member
Re: Bischoff & the Schutzverband Bildender K?nstler
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »
Hi Nic,
Options are probably three, Eduard, Lina Bischoff-Pietschmann or Susel. for that period, German, Austrian and probably Swiss in that order.
Any clues regarding subject matter and or media?
Susel was known for book-covers, I'm clueless on Lina, and Eduard appears to have been a landscape painter.
Hope this helps,
M

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »
Hello Marcus.

Thanks for those. Lina Bischoff-Pietschmann pops up on Artnet, and seems to have been a fairly traditional artist.

Susel is probably the likeliest of the three, with a background in illustration - but I can find any examples of his/her work (nor any mention of his/her gender, for that matter!  ;D)

Not a clue on the content of the exhibition - all I have to go on is the poster. Judging by the title and graphics of the poster, it will have been printmaking and/or painting by young artists.

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:05:39 PM »
Hello Kev. Thanks for the links. The first Bischoff seems to be a writer, and I'm not too sure about the second - my German is poor, so I'm not too certain of the context in which the name is mentioned.

I suspect this one may remain a mystery... but no matter. It's a really nice and really bold decorative piece on its own, which is why I bought it.  :)

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
I attached a photo of it when I made my first post - is it not showing?

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »
I've done some Googling on Nikolaus Bischoff, and all I can seem to find is a gallery-owner of that name. So Nikolaus Bischoff the painter must have been a fairly obscure chappie.

But, as I said, it's not terribly important - I bought it for its decorative value, and whomever buys it off me when I eventually sell it will no doubt purchase it for the same reason.  :)

Offline M

• Researcher Author
  • Board Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 07:58:44 PM »
Nic, don't assume that is the case.
My friend Wladyslaw owns his own gallery, and is a highly accomplished and successful artist.
The two roles are not necessarily exclusive.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:14:02 PM »
Bottom left is:

Kunstanstalt Krugmann, F?rth (Bay.) 400. 4.48.

And that is the printer's name, their location (F?rth in Bavaria), 400 might be the edition size, and 4.48 is April 1948.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 11:28:56 PM »
Is this the firm? Offset printers - Herrnstr. 45, 90763 F?rth, Bayern  http://www.hotfrog.de/Firmen/Kunstanstalt-Krugmann-Co-Offsetgrossdruckerei
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »
Thanks for hunting the firm out, Anne - very surprised they're still on the go!

Kev, thanks for the offer, but only if you have the spare time and if it's no trouble. As I said, it's not desperately important that I find the artist - it's just curiousity getting to me.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk