Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: norwegian vase  (Read 7820 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Board User
norwegian vase
« on: August 16, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
 ;D

it's got stuff written underneath. ;D

including "Huldane" and "Norway" and a load of letters/numbers, but it's full of stuff, big and difficult to actually SEE underneath.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up isn't.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Board User
Re: norwegian vase
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:51:56 AM »
 :-[
I suppose I could have said a bit more about it! I just got chuffed that I'd managed to put a pic of some sorts in.

It belonged to my mother, there is a strong possibility it did come from Norway as my whaler grandfather worked for Christian Salveson, and there were a lot of Norwegian connections. I'm pretty sure mother had it before she had me, that would put it to the early to mid-50s.

It's matt black, with the design picked out in scraffito, and enameled within the scratches (like Carltonware sort of standing proud enamel).

The teazels were picked in Spain, (by my Dad), loaded into the VW dormobile and brought back, then sprayed glittery pink by mother in '67.

The wickerwork monkeys are probably about mid-60s, the rest of the stuff, contemporary.

Pip, could you not just download the pic from my photobucket thingy using the box that appears when you hold the mouse over it?

I've tried to cut/trim it, (only managed to delete great lumps of it, not a clue what was happening) enlarge it and get the vase to stand out, but I can't save it like that  :hb:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Board User
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
 :hug:

Thank you so much, Pip! :love:

It really is good quality work. I've always liked this vase.

(there are a couple of white marks towards the top - this is just paint that will come off when I get my paws on some paintstripper).

I'll get Michael to help me have a better look underneath at the marks, and report back.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
It looks lovely, especially with the flowers - quite a feature.  I'd agree on the 50s period :)
Anne E.B.

Offline delphis

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 12:05:39 AM »
I have a wall plate which looks very similar, that same matt black and high gloss detail.

The back shows the grid ref of where the image is and the place name

There is no detail of maker, but looks pretty similar?

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »
Looks pretty similar also to a wall plaque that I had marked Arnold Wiigs Fabrikker, Halden, Norway, shown here http://www.yobunny.com/pottery/index.php?topic=10484.0
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
Oh BEAUTIFUL........wow  :clap:
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk