Is there something you feel would add to the forum? If so, login and make your suggestion in the Board Discussion forum.

Author Topic: Very delicate R?rstrand bowl  (Read 7265 times)

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
Very delicate R?rstrand bowl
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »
Good morning all,
See what my OH spotted at a market yesterday  :kissy:
I'm pretty certain that it is Gunnar Nylund for R?rstrand, the initials under the R are GN. The pottery mark is painted, in gold lettering.
The bowl is 23?cm in diameter and 12 in height. It is about 2mm thick except where the crowns are, there it is about 1 mm thick.
I have a hunch that it could be connected with some jubilee as the crowns are the swedish coat-of-arms.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures, I wanted to post them asap!

Hope someone has an :idea:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Re: Very delicate R?rstrand bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
Hi Sue, :tup1:
I originally posted this here and then thought I'd try one of the Swedish forums/fora. Received a reply that the bowl is by Nylund and that it is from the fifties, possibly forties. Name of the design is apparently "Candia" but it is commonly known as the Crown bowl. Was made in several sizes.

I'd still like to pin it down a bit more..
Wonder how they made it too? It's just so fragile :o

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
Looks like slip moulded porcelain, in which case it's stronger than you think. Have you ever seen any of the Japanese eggshell porcelain?
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:35:16 AM »
 :pst: I'm really a collector of the material not to be mentioned, BUT since I became a member of this board, more and more pottery things have made their way into the house  ;D

If we continue at this rate, we'll have to move into the gardenshed  :o

I'm a total ignoramus about pottery/ceramics and had to find out what slip moulding was..I can see that this would be a possibility. The bowl is very smooth on the outside and slightly bumpy on the inside, could this be from where the excess is poured away?
How does this technique make things strong? ???
Questions, questions..

Offline Martyn

• Board User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:08:07 AM »
Hi there,

this is a recent reissue of the design, Ive had a few of the originals and bought one the same as this off ebay last year that was in a brand new Rorstrand box. Saddly the seller just put a bit of brown (lavender!) paper around the box and it arrived in pieces, so not that tough after all! Very pretty.

Martyn.

Offline Martyn

• Board User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:03 AM »
Actually, on second thoughts the mark on yours is slightly different now I look at it again. So maybe it is older......?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »
It's not slip moulding (see here) that makes it strong (relatively!), it's the porcelain
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 06:20:43 AM »
Hi there,

this is a recent reissue of the design, Ive had a few of the originals and bought one the same as this off ebay last year that was in a brand new Rorstrand box. Saddly the seller just put a bit of brown (lavender!) paper around the box and it arrived in pieces, so not that tough after all! Very pretty.

Martyn.

Wow Martyn, that was very poor packing. How on EARTH did the seller expect it to arrive in one piece?  :ft:
I'm going to a glass seminar at the weekend, perhaps one of the particpants will be able to date it more closely. I don't suppose it really matters, I just like to have things pinpointed :)

It's not slip moulding (see here) that makes it strong (relatively!), it's the porcelain

Thanks for the link! I'm going to have to get reading up :comp:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Board User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 11:17:30 AM »
 :ao:

I've done some pottery classes, and made a coffee pot using the slip moulding technique.

The mould is porous, so when the slip is poured in, then left to stand, the water from the slip is absorbed into the mould, leaving a layer of much dryer clay in it's final form, ready for firing.

This piece looks as if it might be similar to rice porcelain.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up isn't.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk