Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Is this necklace English or not?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Is this necklace English or not?
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:31:27 AM »
I've been searching for info about this necklace and think it may be made somewhere like India. The beads are hollow filigree and the whole necklace is 16?" long. The fastener is a bolt ring. No idea what the metal is, it doesn't tarnish and no hallmark so not silver. Has anyone seen anything like it before?
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Re: Is this necklace English or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »
I think you are right with India Anne. :)
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Is this necklace English or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
Thanks Sue, I was trying to pin the date down and what it might be made from. It has no markings as far as I can see. It's an inherited piece from an old old lady friend of my mother and I've had it 20+ years. She had travelled all over the world so it could have been bought anywhere. (I think she was a bit like Leni's great aunt! :)) I did wonder as it has a bolt ring fastener if that meant it was more recent than older, but according to a super website I found (and which is now in our Links collection) bolt rings were used from the early 1900s. [Source: http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/JewelChatFindings.html]
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk