If you have problems with your password & need help, use the Contact button at the top to ask for help.

Author Topic: Old ADIDAS T-shirt  (Read 3785 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Old ADIDAS T-shirt
« on: September 06, 2009, 06:42:35 AM »
I have an old ADIDAS T-shirt that I used to wear, and then my son liked to wear it as it is so old, it is so soft....but now it has been retired to the collectibles - so time to do research.

The logo on it is of heavier material....after all, can you imagine how many times it has been washed in the last 40 years.  My son new T-shirts with logo hardly stand up to washing over the years as this has.

The red color has been always sort of faded look as I remember....it still probably has faded some but it was never a real red color but a red with some orangish in it.

The T-shirt clearly says EST 1948, yet I find conflicting info on the net....and I can not find any other examples Adidas with this large *A* on it for a logo.  At each end of the EST 1948 will note (and recognize) the more identifiable Adidas logo, with 3 stripes through it.

What confuse me is:
~ I can not find an example like this anywhere.....with the *A*
~ Shirt says Est 1948, yet that is different year than what I find on the net

Can anyone help me find some info on this logo, and to help date (more pinpoint) the actual year made....and date of this logo.

Thanks
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Old ADIDAS T-shirt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
http://www.press.adidas.com/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-10/555_read-1209/ gives a timeline of the company, 1948 was when Adi Dassler (adidas himself!) "starts up production again, with 47 workers. He takes the first two syllables of his first and last name as the name for his products." So it's the adidas brand that dates from 1948 Rose. :) 

There's also a history of the logo in a PDF file here: http://www.adidas-group.com/en/overview/_downloads/logohistory-e.pdf - which says the trefoil was first used on garments in 1972, so that gives you a starter date for your t-shirt.  Would that all companies documented their history so well! 

Also, Wikipedia has a bit more about the Dassler brothers and the split in 1948 which led to the formation of the two companies, Adidas and Puma.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:59:16 PM »
Just found this story about the Dassler brothers as well: http://www.dw-world.de/popups/popup_printcontent/0,,2074427,00.html fascinating and amusing! :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 12:11:22 PM »
Thanks Anne ...I guess since it has trifold with stripes in the banner on the shirt (in small print) and says first started to use that in 1972....I guess I can say that this shirt is from around there.  That is around 40 years old and, BOY, has it held up - both the shirt, and the logo design

TY
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
And finally the enmity is to end:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8262040.stm 8)
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
lol and   :o :o

Funny how I had just posted this here a few days ago, and now they are ending their FEUD .....history in the making.  It JUST must have been because I posted this thing, they  :kissy: and made-up...

(where's the shovel.....)  :kt:  See horsey doo-doo..... :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk