Many posts have images attached but you need to be a registered user to see them.

Author Topic: PFALTZGRAFF - USA  (Read 7544 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
PFALTZGRAFF - USA
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »
found this, this weekend.  Reminded me of Canadian Blue Mountain Pottery (and/or Canuck Pottery) -- the glaze drip, as it also looks frothed. Reminds me a bit of WGP also, the way it is frothy.   It is marked on the back with:

PFALTZGRAFF  USA  (with a number of ?? maybe 7311 or 3711)

Found this on Ebay Pfaltzgraff

Looks like something from the 60's/early 70's, as like in the link above.   I had never heard of it before either.  I even did a search here for it before I posted, and there was nothing here either.....Glad, I grabbed it....and  :bolt:  It is also in MINT condition.

Learn something new everyday...a first for me.
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Re: PFALTZGRAFF - USA
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »
It reminds me of some W.German pots once had - with the lava glaze.

Goodness knows how you pronounce "Pfaltzgraff"  :taped:  I just wonder from the name, and the type of glaze, whether the potter originally worked in W.Germany?
Anne E.B.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »
Did some more, and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfaltzgraff

Also, I was now looking in some of the books I had here to see IF they had this name in it - now that I did find this.

One of the books said (Millers):  "....their earliest line, a glossy brown with a white frothy drip glaze around the rim, was called GOURMET ROYALE."

That sounds like this one -- so maybe it is called Gourmet Royale (?) and like I thought, has that early look to it.

YEA Anne E.B......you got me on how to SAY it.....PH-PH-PHA-PHAL-PHALT (??) : :quiet:

Gee, even Wikipedia does NOT have the pronunciation there.....so good thing this Forum has no *audio* as you guys would be laughing at me trying to say it...The name does sounds (look) GERMAN, and the glaze has that WGP look too.  So I agree with you there.  
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:27:10 PM »
I now did some rooting around on that name and found these links.  Makes a difference when a person can find the name, the whole name...

http://webspace.webring.com/people/hc/copperpenny22/pfaltzgraffgourmet.html

There is EVEN a chip/dip one there like the one I have posted there.  Says "it was first introduced in 1950's" and as a collectible now, has a price of around $21.00.  Mind you not sure of the dateon the link posted, that might have been a few years ago.  As with the net, not always sure of prices, and dated put on....which can affect value as time (years) go by...

http://www.nancyscollectibles.com/augnewsletter.html (the other links in this are gone...)

In this link, it DOES say that "....he was joined by several relatives from Germany..." So his background is of German descent.  http://www.answers.com/topic/susquehanna-pfaltzgraff-co   
 (**Very good LINK, and useful detailed story here)

Found some other examples here BUT one of them shows the mark with a *castle* on it -- mine does not have a castle in the mark.  Wonder if mine is earlier then (??)  More Examples-CLICK HERE

Any one know, or find dates for marks?  And you think some of these would show up over in the European countries since there is a German background.  Maybe you now will find some there too...

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »
thanks Anne --

I wonder if any pieces will show up there over the pond  :slr: , since he has relatives there.  Something more to watch for...

....and Collect

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk