If you are using a shared PC make sure you log out at the end of your session. This protects your account privacy and especially important if you use a PC in a public library or an internet cafe.

Author Topic: Replacement sprinkler heads wooden box  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Replacement sprinkler heads wooden box
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »
Lol, i cleaned this up a little, probably some way to go i think. It's full of water stains as you can imagine as i did find it out in the wild. This is the same one i showed you previously, i don't dig these up every day you know, lol.  :24:

A history of Mather & Platt....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mather_&_Platt

It was recovered from an old bottleworks which shut down during the war. So i guess if it is from there this would date before 1945.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Re: Replacement sprinkler heads wooden box
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »
Is it a box with a door that they were kept in??  That is different...where did you dig it up....was that with your metal detector again??

Wish I had one... :)
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »
Cripes TC, you collect some interesting and varied stuff :clap:  The name Mather & Platt is a blast from the past for me, as I come from Manchester, and people way back, always knew someone who worked there. 

Could it be used for anything else?  Pipe holder?  Wine glass holder?  It would be interesting to know which bottle company it came from too.
Anne E.B.

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »
Cripes TC, you collect some interesting and varied stuff :clap:

Lol, you haven't seen nothing yet, i'm sure there's more to come.

It came from a local company, it wasn't based anywhere else though. I think they discovered an underground spring so set up a company to sell it. I wouldn't like to say the name of the company because it would reveal my location. Although i don't think many people outside of my town would know about it anyway. If you want i can send you an email.

I guess it could be used for anything really, tool holder, test tube holder, sausage holder.

Okay, maybe not the last one.  :24:

Rose, yes, the sprinklers were kept in the box as replacements. I guess for safety they would change them often or when there's been a fire.

I'll be honest here, i didn't actually dig it up but found it while i was Metal Detecting. It's still my favourite piece of treasure though.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:06:29 AM »
I wouldn't like to say the name of the company because it would reveal my location. Although i don't think many people outside of my town would know about it anyway.

Are you hiding? Or a wanted Person...lol.      Just kidding.  TC the treasurer hunter...
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »
Shhhh!  TC's wanted on the MFI list :taped:  Something to do with a missing wooden box ;)
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
MFI - that'll be Missing Furniture International then Anne? :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »
Naughty!   :24:

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
Must be worth something in scrap metal with all that brass!
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:24 PM »
Fascinating! The sprinkler heads were apparently made by The Automatic Sprinkler Co Ltd, Radcliffe & London. I was born in Radcliffe and lived there till I was 10/11 but don't ever recall hearing this firm mentioned despite it being in Spring Lane, just along from my uncle's builder's yard! According to Companies House The Automatic Sprinkler Co Ltd changed its name on 21/12/1977 but the details of what to are not in the online database. I've found mentions of the firm up until 1981-1983 though, so perhaps they used their own name until then or ceased trading sometime after that. I also found a photo showing a sprinkler plate, presumably the location of the heads were what this was indicating...?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleologist/696096738/
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
No idea but I did find this...

Carl Ansevin, 100 (blimey, he lived a long time!)

After working in the steel mill, he was a superintendent for the Youngstown Sheet Metal Manufacturing Co., which was later bought out and renamed the Automatic Sprinkler Co., and he retired in 1959.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 06:57:47 PM »
I think that's a different company TC... it seems to have been in Ohio, USA, rather than yours which is definitely in England.
Cheers!
 Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk