Only registered users can view our extensive collection of pottery marks images.

Author Topic: Canadian Surprise - Glazed Pottery  (Read 5046 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Canadian Surprise - Glazed Pottery
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:15:37 AM »
Hi.  I just bought this thinking it might be Canadian, but I could not see any marks for the life of me when I bought it.  It was only after I got it home, and tried some different light sources that I discovered some letters, and tried several very bright light sources and finally figured it out -- and have NEVER heard of it.

I do not think the mark was impressed, but almost looks like an INK STAMP under the glaze.  This is about 8 inches tall, and about 4.5 inches wide.

I can now finally make out that is reads CHAPLEAU CANADA

...and never heard of this before....So a Canadian Surprise for me here.  Think it has some age to it.

I like it !!

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
Re: Canadian Surprise - Glazed Pottery
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:24:41 AM »
****....Added pics....****

Just to show you what I saw when I first looked at the bottom of this vase (PIC #1 Below) -- and SAW NO MARKS -- until I tried some different light sources -- and spotted a couple letters.  So I worked at finding a very strong light source -- and took lots of pics (with flash, and without) TILL I got something readable. (PIC #2 Below)

So sometimes WHEN me think there might not be a mark -- just keep trying, as I was sure this had nothing.....but it did.

:tup1:

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
Well done Rose :gcheer:  I usually resort to using a lens too.
I like the glaze - its sort of brown over green.
Have you found anything out about the company yet, or is it one of those potteries that disappeared into obscurity and time?
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »
Well done Rose!  :cheerleader:

Now how about this... scroll down the last image on the page... http://www.canadianpotteryidentifier.com/mn.htm which attributes this and other marks to NP Pottery Chapleau... might be worth exploring further to see if it matches some of their other output, or if there was another pottery there also. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
Says there at the above link under: Northern Pottery - Chapleau, Ontario

Now as we can see, my it like the second example listed there, because mine only says CHAPLEAU CANADA.  Now I have been rooting around here and found some other info.

http://www.trocadero.com/tasmark/items/732598/en1.html
http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/tasmark/items/732598/item732598cyberattic.html

And found some info here -- about all Canadian Pottery, and this one here:
http://chinaminer.canadutch.ca/media/Canadian_Potteries_info_formal.htm

Will add this link in our Link Section under Canadian Pottery -- since it lists a whole bunch of Canadian Pottery and history.  Hope I *add* it correct in our link section -- ANNE, can you check I did it right??

Will keep working on this to see what else I can dig up.  Nice to discover the mark, and the name...and one I have never heard of, or seen....

:bzy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk