Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. Sign up NOW!

Author Topic: Charles Ford  (Read 323 times)

Offline Vicki

• Board Member
Charles Ford
« on: May 09, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
Hi, hoping someone can help me here.

I have a set of pink (crimson?), gold and white china I inherited from my grandparents. My father can remember it belonging to my great grandparents, who married in 1903, which seems to suggest turn of the century wedding gift.

It includes 12 coffee cups and saucers, a slops bowl, two serving plates and 12 plates.

The mark on the bottom, imprinted, is CF which I have linked to Charles Ford. There is no swan mark.

Could anyone help me pinpoint an age? It seems the swan mark was used from 1900 but info about his work before this seems a little thin on the ground. I was wondering at what point he stopped imprinting his initials and started printing them on with the swan?

Thanks!

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Charles Ford
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 02:48:24 PM »
Hi Vicki, welcome to the board. I've checked in Godden's Pottery and Porcelain Marks book which gives an impressed or printed monogram mark CF for the period 1874 - 1904. There's an example of the monogram mark on this photo here https://picclick.co.uk/Antique-Charles-Ford-Side-Plate-Impressed-Backstamp-Deep-352644703090.html#&gid=1&pid=2, I hope this helps.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk