Only registered users can view our extensive collection of pottery marks images.

Author Topic: Square footed basket weave bowl.  (Read 356 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
Square footed basket weave bowl.
« on: August 22, 2021, 02:59:10 PM »
I've just bought this strange looking basket weave bowl.  It appears to be intricately made, the four pasta shape legs/corners are made in a two part mould.  No makers mark but it does have the numbers 374 or 874 along with a number 2 underneath impressed on the base.   I've looked in all my books and online but can't find anything like it, although for some reason it looks familiar????  I'm guessing it is old as it has crazing underneath the glaze on the base, and possibly Victorian?  I know they liked natural forms, and it doesn't look out of place next to my Sowerby glass basket weave dish.

Any ideas as to where it could have come from/maker/age please?
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Re: Square footed basket weave bowl.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 08:08:37 PM »
Hmmm it's a new one on me Anne.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 10:45:22 AM »
I think I've tracked it down :cheerleader:.  I came across similar looking vintage basketweave bowls (slightly varying in shape or with added flowers), mostly for sale in the USA which were described as 'The Walter Hatches' or printed as such on the pieces.  It appears that this refers to Walter Hatches Inc. who were importers of majolica/porcelain accessories from Italy, and that these bowls were handmade exclusively for this company, but the actual pottery in Italy remains unknown to me.

After a  little bit more googling I came across an article in the "Bronxville Review Press and Reporter dated 1st August 1968, p.9." reporting on the death of a Mrs. Helen Walter Hatch in Bronxville who helped form "Walter Hatches" importers of decorative accessories from Italy.  It goes on to state that the Italian Government was so pleased with her creations that they awarded her an honorary degree for advanced marketing relations between the U.S.A. and Italy.   I've been unable to find anything more recent about the company.
Anne E.B.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 08:47:58 PM »
This is interesting Anne, thanks for adding the extra info.  I've not managed to find anything more about them either. :'(
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk