Many posts have images attached but you need to be a registered user to see them.

Author Topic: What can I say? Raku piece by Thelma Howard, Canada  (Read 10064 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
What can I say? Raku piece by Thelma Howard, Canada
« on: October 14, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »
Here is a stumper...hopefully not the next Ugly vase winner.  I have this grey motted vase, as you will see by pictures.  The bottom half (whatever made of) is very smooth.  The top part is a kinda rough clay.  I also thought the bottom half was glass, as it sort of *tings* when tapped, but then when you look at the very bottom of it, I (think) it isn't glass.  The bottom is indented, and it only has one letter as a mark, the letter H, incised.  It is right inside the indentation, and hard to see...I guess I should have did the powder thing.  It looks like a hand inscribed H.

The only mark that I found like it was if you go to this page: http://www.clemhull.com/BottomMarkings.html  and go the section of "VAN BRIGGLE FINISHER" SECTION, a quarter of the page down, and then under that topic, go to the Letter H fo NINA HESS....that is what the H on this looks like...wish I could get better pix....but that is very, very close to this mark.  I bought this for $1.99 cuz it was weird.  Would this look like her work...anyone  ???   :hlp:

Rose :rse:
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
Re: What can I say ????????????????????
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:06:40 PM »
I will try to take some other pixs using powder on it...it is just that I can not get too close with camera/phone.  I will take top pictres, as it looks handmade clay or something. ??? ???

The bottom half of this is so smooth, while the top part is so rough, grainy, and primitive looking....its weird.

Then you look at the bottom, inside the indent, and it looks a bit rough, but there is just an H there...its is really weird.....no ideas anyone....I will try to take some other photos  :-\ :-\

The *H* on the bottom is simple like the one in the web-page, and so, so much alike....so that is the only *H* mark I have found to refer to...and the vase looks like a complicated design....but I do not know..that is why I am here :hlp: :hlp:

Rose :rse:

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Martyn

• Board User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:01:29 PM »
Looks like it's Raku fired if that rules in or out anyone?

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:11:19 PM »
Looks like it's Raku fired if that rules in or out anyone?

What is that?  any info on that?  Web sites? Sure would apprec it....thanks

:rse:

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:21:40 AM »
here you go rose    www.lockettpots.uklinux.net/pottery/raku.php -   

maybe a forum for different types of fireing and glazes, Anne we can post  youtube films or maybe if we can get potters to come on board, they can write describe a "HOW TO" or a "HOW IT'S DONE" section????
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:27:53 AM »
I have been reading the pages, but does anyone have any similiar pics that they can find like this.  I do not know pottery like you guys, but the pics I have seen still seem different from mine....any pics close to mine in this raku ? ....or am I looking somewhere wrong... ???

:rse:

Offline Martyn

• Board User
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:15:10 PM »
Here's a couple of Raku vases by Elizabeth Raeburn and a yunomi by John Mathieson that are similar in finnish to your piece. The blackening of the clay, crazing of the glaze and light weight feel are all very distintctive features of Raku fired pieces, though the end results can vary massively as it's quite an unpredictable process.

There are LOTS of western studio potters who have experimented with Raku since the 1960's and it's particually popular in Canada so I would guess that's where your piece is from. I'm not that up on Canadian studio pottery but will have a look around and see if I can come up with any names....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
If you do a search on the studio pottery board, there are quite a few bits of Raku with pictures, nothing like yours but just to give you an idea
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 08:01:40 AM »
I will (finally) be sending a pic with the intial on the bottom to show you for this....I do not know if it will help at all, but I used your talc powder trick....(actually COMET works too)...  :24: :24:

It is just an incised letter "H", but does anyone have any ideas/recognize whom that may be?  Thanking you in advance  :)

Rose  :rse:

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 01:07:56 AM »
it has just a simple H on it....looks like by hand...

any ideas at all of whom may have did this ???

rose :rse:

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:36:10 AM »
  :cheerleader: Good News on this Item.....I have ID this...

The maker is a local artist by the Name of THELMA HOWARD.  I was told that she does everything by hand (not thrown) and that this piece here would be in the $80 - $100 CAD range right now.

Here another sample of her Work:  :clap:
Click Here  

Found at this LINK HERE

;D

Offline Anne E.B.

• Board Addict
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Well done Rose!!!!  :gcheer:
Anne E.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk