For your safety passwords need to be a mixture of upper & lowercase letters and digits and at least 8 characters long.

Author Topic: Royal Copenhagen 1947 Exhibition Bowl by Thorkild Olsen.  (Read 15348 times)

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
Royal Copenhagen 1947 Exhibition Bowl by Thorkild Olsen.
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »
I thought I'd kick off my very first post with something (hopefully) a little special to show.

Was told from the chap I got it off that it was designed in 1947 for Thorkild Olsen's 40th anniversary of working for R.C. in 1948. It also came with a catalogue for the accompanying retrospective exhibition, hand-numbered 25 of 1,000 prints.

However, although the front and back covers of the catalogue depict a smiliar abstract bird & flora design as featured on the bowl, the bowl itself isn't illustrated within - which is a little confusing. The catalogue is in Danish, and my Danish is awful, hence the text is little use without me sitting down and translating it properly.

But the bowl is a little special, as it is hand-signed by Thorkild Olsen over the top of the standard backstamp. Also, the backstamp dates it to 1947.

Basically my query is.... is it a limited production exhibition piece, or was it in general production?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Incidentally, I'm staggered to read that Olsen worked for R.C. for 60 years, 1908-1968!  :o

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
Re: Royal Copenhagen 1947 Exhibition Bowl by Thorkild Olsen.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:44:16 PM »
The photographs really don't do the bowl justice, and I'll snap some better ones when I get chance to set up proper lighting.

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 06:35:17 AM »
Hi Nic,
Here you go

"This publication is issued in honour of Thorkild Olsen's 40th. jubilee, 1948.
Publishing house: The Berlingske Press, Copenhagen, 1000 numbered copies.
Font English Caslon.
Printer: Bernard Middelboe's Stereotyping and Electrocopying Establishment
This is number 25"

Just a bit of info, the Danes celebrate a person's 25th and 40th jubilees at their place of work in a big way with a reception or party, presents and speeches.
The text doesn't mention the bowl at all but that doesn't mean anything, the illustrations in the catalogue would almost certainly be of his best known or most experimental works.
Really nice bowl!! :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:17:34 PM »
Thanks for the translation Aine. I'll have to have a look through the catalogue and see if my muddled Danish can come up with anything. The bowl also came with a catalogue of Olsen's 50th anniversary celebrations... and a an illustrated single sheet with some information about him, published by a company or foundation called IFF - but it doesn't ring any bells with me.

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
[ IFF - [/quote]

Hi Nic,
You're welcome :)
IFF could be the Institut For Fremtidsforskning. Would that make any sense?

Offline a40ty

• Board Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »
[ IFF -

Hi Nic,
You're welcome :)
IFF could be the Institut For Fremtidsforskning. Would that make any sense?
[/quote]

Boy, have I got my "thicko hat" on  :czy:
Course it doesn't make any sense.. it's in Danish.
IFF would translate into The Department or Institution of Futurology.
Would that make sense?

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:35:14 PM »
Oops, sorry Aine - I totally forgot to reply to this. My apologies. I can't find any link between that IFF and Thorkild Olsen. It's probably just a publishing house of some kind.

But, hurray, I've had a confirmation that it was indeed designed for the 1948 exhibition. The person I got it from said that it was actually bought at the exhibition by one of their close contacts in Denmark who is also an obsessive RC collector.

Offline gdbtch

• Board Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 01:53:02 AM »
Hello, just got here, sorry to start with a thread resurrection. (That kind of thing used to be "deadly" at the last few message boards I was kicked off of.)
Seriously, I found this forum while trying to research unique Thorkild Olsen stoneware items. The bowl here is interesting, but I'm assuming porcelain, and probably mulled over adequately by the board as it stands. So would it be OK to insert a plot twist and divert this thread to a stoneware discussion? If that's a no-no, please say so, I understand this isn't a Simpsons episode.
I have the big Leif Lautrup-Larsen Royal Copenhagen Stoneware book and am disappointed to see T.O's not even in it, after having worked for the company for 60 years (!) and at some point, as I understand, even in a managerial capacity together with Nils Thorsson at the stoneware workshop.
Since I don't read Danish, my grasp of this subject is largely limited to pictures. I did manage to google one old English-language newspaper article that mentioned this kind of thing in passing, but without illustrations. So far, I've dug up all of 2 of any artistic merit, see attached. Just wondering if any of you had any more. Thanks.

Offline gdbtch

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 01:54:11 AM »
Sorry, still getting used to this. Here's the other pic:

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:38 AM »
Hi and welcome to the board.  :cheerleader:  We don't have any problem with adding posts to older topics (or newer ones!) - no topic is ever truly closed here as we can always find more info and add it to enhance our knowledge. :)

Aine who replied to the topic above you speaks and reads Danish so can often assist with texts that baffle those of us who don't.  :beer:
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline gdbtch

• Board Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 02:26:56 AM »
Thank you, Anne.
It's been some time since I've received a stranger's welcoming touch. :boohoo:
Seriously, if this "Aine" person has the wondrous abilities you described, she may be worth a thousand pictures. How's that for a twist.
I shall now man my email ramparts for a volley of replies. Till then. :hby:

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 08:10:56 AM »
Hi and Welcome to the the Board   :cheerleader: :cheerleader:  I am from the EH - Team, too.  These people on this board --- are the best. 

They don't kick people out - They Welcome them.....and always will to help.  I am sure you will enjoy it here.

I can relate -- seems *some* Canadian Forums like to boot people off.... :24: but this is the BEST BOARD in the World -- So again Welcome!!!

:beer:

Did you work for the company 60 years?
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline gdbtch

• Board Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
Hi Rosie, pleased to make your acquaintance.
Actually, it only feels like 60 years.  :P
*Sigh* The horror stories I could tell you. The pyramids were nothing.
So anyway. Who's got pictures?  :good:

Offline Potterycat

• Board Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
The mark "A" says Aluminia, and not Royal Copenhagen.
Thorkild Olsen worked for RC , yes, but 1932-38 he was freelance for Aluminia Fajance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk