If you are using a shared PC make sure you log out at the end of your session. This protects your account privacy and especially important if you use a PC in a public library or an internet cafe.

Author Topic: "Unique" Danish Bowl marked 'HR'  (Read 2866 times)

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
"Unique" Danish Bowl marked 'HR'
« on: October 29, 2007, 12:34:41 PM »
Interesting stoneware piece, not entirely sure I like it - but I do like a mystery.

Originally sourced in Denmark, unusual coarse-textured terracotta-coloured bowl with a glossy green interior. There's a whole host of markings to the base, including 'HR' in a square lozenge, a logo that consists of two ellipses joined by a line that looks like a lamp or drinking glass, there's also an 'O', an '8', the word 'Unik' ('unique' in Danish), and a handpainted 'XV'.

So there's a lot to go on.... but my Googling has yielded nothing. *sigh*

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Re: "Unique" Danish Bowl marked 'HR'
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 02:13:35 PM »
Hi Nic, look here, i wonder if there is a connection? scroll down near to bottom www.hiandlomodern.com/CeramicScand.htm
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »
99% sure it's HR - but squished together so that the last vertical of the H becomes the vertical of the R. The angle of the lighting has pretty much wiped out the horizontal of the H, but it is there.

Saying that, the base is pretty textured, so I may be mistaken.

Sue, I'm farily sure it's not Palshus - I've a few pieces by Per Linnemann-Schmidt, and all are fully marked to the base. It's a shame that Hi & Lo are based in the US - their Danish ceramic prices are more than reasonable in a lot of cases (but trans-Atlantic shipping would balance it out, unfortunately).

Offline josordoni

• Board Moderator
  • Board Enthusiast
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:26:24 PM »
99% sure it's HR - but squished together so that the last vertical of the H becomes the vertical of the R. The angle of the lighting has pretty much wiped out the horizontal of the H, but it is there.

Saying that, the base is pretty textured, so I may be mistaken.

Sue, I'm farily sure it's not Palshus - I've a few pieces by Per Linnemann-Schmidt, and all are fully marked to the base. It's a shame that Hi & Lo are based in the US - their Danish ceramic prices are more than reasonable in a lot of cases (but trans-Atlantic shipping would balance it out, unfortunately).

I see what you mean, but the central bar looked like a continuation of a circular wheel mark to me...

could be either really.

I love the texture of the bowl.

Offline pinkspoons

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
No, looking closely at it, I do see what you mean - there is a wheel mark exactly where the monogram is, so it could easily be either.

Searching for IR hasn't yielded anything either, though. I suspect identifying the strange lamp-like logo will be the key in finding the studio or factory responsible.

Does anybody have 'Scandinavian Art Pottery' by Robin Hecht? I've been pondering buying it, but I don't know if it's any good for these lesser-known makers...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk