If you have problems with your password & need help, use the Contact button at the top to ask for help.

Author Topic: Celtic Ennis Ireland  (Read 12509 times)

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:58:18 PM »
There is a town in Co Claire Southern Ireland called Ennis, but there is also a potter at Dunbeacon pottery called Helen Ennis.
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline Tigerchips

• Board Moderator
  • Board Super-hero
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:58:19 PM »
I've had a look around and I have come to the conclusion that nobody else seems to know the manufacturer either.  ;D

I did find another pattern though. CONNEMARA.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7380803382

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 09:14:48 PM »
And another here: pattern name = Limerick http://www.apjcollectables.co.uk/milksugar.htm

So we now have Irish Fine Earthenware, the shamrock motif, and Celtic on all three pieces, with pattern names: Ennis, Connemara and Limerick.  So my guess is it could be a company called either Irish Fine Earthenware or a company called Celtic Pottery.  The only Celtic Pottery I've turned up so far is one in Cornwall, so that's not them.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Sue C

• Board Addict
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:25:24 PM »
www.irishcountrypottery.ie maybe they can help? :-\
"you'll Never Walk Alone"
Liverpool anthem.

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:01:13 AM »
Great, thanks Sue, I've asked if they can help at all. Will let you know if I get a reply.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »
Some more here. It all looks very mid 20th century. And here's a friend for your tea pot. There's a fair bit of it about but no information
Christine
Which Tyler led the pedants revolt?

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »
Kev and all, we have new info about this pottery. :)  I emailed a couple of folks in Ireland yesterday and Anne Loughran of APJ Collectables kindly replied with the following information which she is agreeable for me to quote here on the board:

Quote from: Anne Loughran of APJ Collectables
Dear Anne,

Irish Fine Earthenware was a company set up to help encourage  employment and the economy in the West of Ireland. As their backstamps indicate, they had factories at three different locations. As far as I know they went out of business a few years ago. Their products are quite collectable and still not too expensive.

Kind regards,
Anne Loughran

So, now we know who and where, and that Ennis, Connemara and Limerick were the three locations, not pattern names, and that the company name was called Irish Fine Earthenware not Celtic.

Does that help Kev? :)
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:20:14 PM »
Interestingly, the leafy jug on the AJP Collectables site doesn't have a place only a pattern number.
Christine

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »
Another reply from one of the enquiries about this... with slightly different info though, this time from Irish Country Pottery...

Quote from: Alec at Irish Country Pottery
Hi
The pottery you have was made in Kilrush County Clare. The company was called Celtic Ceramics.  It was founded by Rosenthal the famous German brand.

It ceased operation approx 15 years ago.

Regards
Alec
Operations Manager

So, which is it? More research needed methinks. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

Offline Lustrousstone

• Board Addict
    • My ebay stuff
Celtic Ennis Ireland
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 09:28:30 AM »
I think this one sounds much more likely, Celtic Ceramics was the trading name, the company name was Kilrush Pottery Limited, which brings up more items and some info see here and scroll down to Mrs Taylor Quinn. The county names are ranges, not manufacturing sites.

I must admit it struck me as odd that somewhere like the Irish Republic could support three ceramics factories - although it's booming now
Christine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk