Many posts have images attached but you need to be a registered user to see them.

Author Topic: Raku Animals - ID from the studio of John Hine  (Read 13744 times)

Offline Elaine

• Board User
Raku Animals - ID from the studio of John Hine
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »
Following on from a norty (now official board spelling?  ;)) thread in the cafe, I was reminded of these Raku animals, so here they are. 

Offline Elaine

• Board User
Re: Raku Animals
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »
Of course I should have said that these are from the studio of John Hine. 

However, although I always see them credited to Hine, I have heard that they are not actually made by him.  Anyone know exactly who? 

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:47:51 AM »
What a fabulous big hare Leni.  8)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Libby

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:09:47 PM »
Hello Leni,

I see you collect hares.   Have you seen Elaine Peto's work? http://www.project-workshop.co.uk/pages/artists%20pages/peto.html They are not raku animals but I love them.

Libby

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Hello Libby,

Yes, indeed I have seen Elaine Peto's work, and in fact nearly bought one of her hares at the Affordable Art Fair!  However, they are quite big, aren't they?   Sadly I decided that I really don't have room for one  :( 

Offline Libby

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:42:59 PM »
Hello Leni,

:pst: Elaine does make some smaller ones.   I've got two crouched hares (3.5inchesx5.5 inches & 2 inchesx3.5inches) and two upright hares (4inchesx2 inches & 11 inches x 6 inches).   If you are really interested it's worth asking her if she has any smaller ones, as it's often the larger ones on display.   The two smallest ones are in a smooth pottery finish and I'm not sure she does these any more.   The largest crouching one is in the rough finish, but much paler than those on the website.   The largest one is just like those illustrated on the website.   Oh, and we've got a lovely indian rhinocerous she did.
My husband dreads it when I go to a fair she is at, but it was him that started the collection with the rhinocerous!   ;D

Libby

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 09:48:25 PM »
The hare is definitely by Brian Andrew and I think the others almost certainly are as well.  It annoys me that people say they are 'by John Hine' rather than from his studio!  I'm very happy to be able to give credit where it's due. 

And I do love some of his bronze hares, too!

Libby, thanks for the info about Peto's smaller pieces - I think!    ;)  I saw Elaine only recently, at Art in Action, but although I stopped and spoke to her I didn't think to ask about smaller pieces!  I just thought she only did the BIG ones!  Oh well, looks like I might just HAVE to contact her!   8:)

My large hare measures 13 inches.  I can't see ANY differences between mine and the 'Winter Hare' (and the price is right, too).  Also, the gallery I bought it from gave me a leaflet all about the Raku animals, mentioning John Hines, Brian Andrew and Sue Dawes.  I gather from it that my lurcher figure is supposed to be based on Brian's dog, Flymo!  I think the marked ones are genuine, but I'm not sure about the unmarked hare.  I bought him later than the others, in a gift shop in Bath.

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:40:04 PM »
Hmmm.  A mystery! ???  I just went to have a closer look at my Raku animals, and noticed something strange.  The large hare has 2000 in gold on the underside of one foot, but no initials.  The mouse, the smallest hare, and the lurcher all have 2000 in gold and the initials Bt (upper case B, lower case t) incised, and the middle-size seated hare has nothing on the base at all!

And idea what are the implications of this?  ???

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 07:57:10 PM »
Will someone please explain RAKU to a poor dim bunny?  :blush:
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Elaine

• Board User

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 12:41:05 AM »
Thanks Leni, now we know.  8)
Cheers!
 Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk